Chapter 20

Sometime through the winding halls, quite a while ago, you all descended down a hall that seemed darker, colder than the rest of the building. You could feel the body heat coming off the those around you, you could feel it to the slightest degree. As you looked down by your side, Scout had gotten a little stiffer, her ear perked up on her head and her tail did not wag anymore. You still had a limp as you walked, but you were slowly healing.

You absent-mindedly took a whiff of the air in the hopes of catching a scent you recognized. You caught yourself in the middle of it and brushed it off. You were already beginning to give in to your heightened senses, which were even stronger after the mysterious cure Natasha had given to you. It made you wonder what else was stronger...

When you glanced at Natasha, you saw her face grow strained, like she was fighting off a scowl. Her jaw was clenched and her eyes were hard. They finally focused on a door you were approaching, instead of the ends of the halls you were getting lost in.

When your eyes found the door she was concentrating on, you caught a familiar scent in the air. It smelled of firewood and gun powder, you knew that scent well. You looked at Natasha then and finally spoke into the silence, "Is that Dmitri?"

She nodded stiffly and came up to the door. Clint opened it before she could to allow the both of you inside before he closed the door behind him. You smiled a little when you saw Dmitri lounging across a bed (which was really just a prison mat with a shitty blanket) on the other side of a glass wall, that permanent little smile on his face as he did not spare the door a single glance.

"Are you going to put me down this time, or will it be the next?" he commented, and you rolled your eyes.

"C'mon, Dimi. I wouldn't let 'em," you said. He finally looked over at you, his small smile spreading as his little-caring eyes widened a little in surprise and unadmitted joy. You gave him a smile that made you seem like old friends.

"Look who's alive," he said. You shrugged a shoulder and sat down in a chair on your side of the glass. Natasha and Clint stayed standing, leaning against the wall with hard faces as they watched the exchange.

"You have any good food here?" you asked.

He shrugged, "Better than scraps." He then pretended to think for a moment, "Wait, no, they were scraps. I think your girlfriend doesn't like me."

You blushed and did not turn to look at Natasha as he gave a mischievous smile. You mouthed to him, 'Shut up.'

He snickered and you winced as you put too much pressure on your leg when you shifted in your chair. "Let me see," he muttered.

You crossed your leg over to show him your bruised ankle. Scout licked your ankle with a slight whimper, and you wiggled your leg to shoo her away. He knelt down to get a good look at it and then sat back with his arms folded over his chest, "You need a vibranium solution, then wrap it up."

"Vibranium? Why vibranium?" you asked with a furrow of your brows.

He shrugged, "The serum held a counteragent to vibranium. Your body needed vibranium to solve the serum, but Novakova needed a weakness for you."

"Uh, thanks," you told him, glancing at Clint and Natasha. They shrugged unknowingly and Natasha straightened her spine. "I'm assuming you want us to let him go," she muttered, her eyes turning to you.

You nodded a little, "Well... yes." She sighed as she looked around quietly before speaking again, "Come with me for a sec?"

You nodded and stood, Scout walking beside you as you left the room. Natasha closed the door and you stood beside it as she spoke in a hushed voice. "So, quick question, do you just not care that he kidnapped you?" she seemed more surprised than angry or accusing.