Birthday wish || 1:1

18

18... I'm officially an adult under the Ark's law. The day I was born is the day that I must die. How poetic. I thought I'd be scared today, nervous at least...but I'm not. I feel utterly calm. Somewhere along the line, I seemed to have accepted that this was my fate. That I, Katerina Kane, was gonna die.

Many kids would be ecstatic on their 18th birthday, but not me; not all the kids who are locked up in the sky box. Because on our 18th birthday, they take us out of our cell and float us. Every birthday brings us closer to death.

I'm not scared to die. In fact, I've tried to visit death way too many times in the past. But now I see myself yearning for life, daydreaming about how it would have been to live instead of merely surviving.

I find myself looking at the picture in my hands, feeling guilt pull at my heart. The only comfort I've had these past few years... It was a gift given to me a few months after my 16th birthday. A locket with the symbol of Atlas, the titan who was responsible for bearing the weight of the heavens on his shoulder, I was a big fan of Greek mythology back then. Still am.

The gift didn't come with a card or anything to let me know who it was from, but there was no need for one. I knew who had sent me the gift. The only person who would know how significant this gift would be for me; the only one who would have this picture. My dad. Although I would never know for certain considering he never came to visit me, so I never had the opportunity to ask him.

But that's how I decided to spend the remaining hours of my life. Laying on a stiff mattress, looking at the little photograph inside my silver locket. Imagining the life we could've had...

It's been about an hour or two and still, no guards had come to take me. I was beginning to grow anxious just sitting here waiting for death. But slowly I started to hear a bit of commotion forming outside of my cell door. With every minute that passed the commotion seemed to grow louder and louder. What the hell was going on?

I made my way to my cell door and tried to look out of the small window. All I could see were guards escorting prisoners out of their cells and putting some type of bracelet on them. I then saw a pair of guards coming toward my cell. I backed away from the door, panicked, closing my locket and hiding it under my shirt.

"Prisoner 250, face the wall now." A guard yelled from behind my door. I did as they asked and walked towards the wall, hearing the locked door open. "Hands behind your head." I didn't move.

I can't do this...I can't just give up - I

"Hands behind your head now!"

I have to try... I start moving my hands to my head feeling the guard walk closer to me. Once I thought he was close enough I turned around. The first guard was right in front of me, the second one was by the door.

I kicked the guard closest to me, making him fall back. I quickly advance forward to where the second guard was, sliding on the floor to kick his leg making him fall down. I get up and run out of my cell only to see a bunch of guards and kids all over the hallway. They're gonna kill us all?