16. Massachusetts

"Yes sir, I will be back after two weeks." The CEO nods.

"But Doctor Ali took a leave yesterday, and Dr Bethsy is going on her maternity leave on Friday. You're the last in your group that can lead. Can't it wait?" Dr. Kwami shakes his head with a smile.

"I'm sorry, it can't wait Sir. But Dr Ali took a two days leave so he'll be back tomorrow." Dr. Kwami suggests and the man sighs.

"You're right but you want to leave today. Why don't you leave tomorrow? That way we'll have at least one of you." Dr. Kwami sighs. In as much as he wants to leave for Massachusetts as soon as possible, he holds his job on high pedestal too. He can't leave now. Moreover, he has to get his visa and all. Although it'll be easier considering the fact that he gets his through the hospital so it's faster.

"Okay sir." The CEO nods with a smile and hands Dr. Kwami a brown envelope that no doubt contains his permission for leave.

"Thank you Dr. Aliyu." Dr Kwami nods and leaves the office. He leaves the first floor and goes back to his office on the third floor. Just twenty four hours more. And he'd finally be able to see his love.

He pushes all Afnan related thoughts to the back of his mind and concentrates on his work. He can't afford to make any mistakes. He has been groomed to be a patient man, just a little more patience and he can see her. It won't be hard if he pushes her to the back of his mind and keep himself busy.

"Maryam Al-Nasaa’i" Dr. Kwami calls and a heavily pregnant woman accompanied by her husband comes in. He can't help but picture Afnan carrying their baby while he supports her. He shakes his head immediately. This whole pushing Afnan to the back of his head thing will be harder than he thought.

"All flight attendants, prepare for landing please." Dr. Kwami who didn't take off his seat belt since he used the bathroom about two hours ago and the captain announced a turbulence encounter took his phone out of airplane mode and waited for the fasten seatbelt sign to disappear.

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Boston Airport, Massachusetts. Local time is 6pm and the temperature is 23°. For your safety and comfort, please remain seated and keep your seat belt on until the captian turns off the seatbelt sign. Please check around for any personal belongings you might have brought on board. Please use caution when opening the overhead bins as heavy articles might have moved during the flight.

"If you need deplaning assistance, stay seated until other passengers have deplaned. One of our crew members will then be pleased to provide you with such assistance. On behalf of emirate airlines and the entire crew, I'd like to thank you for joining us on this trip and we are looking forward to seeing you on board again soon In the nearest future. Have a great day and a wonderful stay." Almost immediately, the seat belt sign goes off and Dr. Kwami takes that as his cue to deplane.

Since he only came on board with his phone and wallet, he leaves sooner than many others.

It takes him twenty minutes to complete the whole formalities and get his luggage which is just a small Givenchy suitcase. When he walks out, he picks his phone and calls his friend who offered to pick him up and have him stay at his place. They attended the same secondary school back in Nigeria and have kept in touch since then. Even after the man got married and got transferred to Boston, they still kept in touch.

"Assalamu Alaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh {may the peace and blessings of Allah be unto you}." Dr. Kwami says the moment the person on the other end picks.

"Ameen wa alaikas salam {peace be unto you too} doctor. Kai kam har yau bakason wani ya fiki samun lada wajan sallama {Till date you still don't let someone get more reward than you when it comes to greeting}." Dr. Kwami chuckles.

"Toh abun samun lada yaushe zan tsaya wani ya kwashe {Something related to getting reward how can I stand by and watch someone take all the reward}?" They share a short laugh and the man goes quiet.

"Ka iso ne {Have you arrived}? Have you landed?"

"Yes. I'm outside the arrivals wing. Koh in dau taxi ne {Should I take a taxi}?" Dr Kwami continues to drag his suitcase along as he walks towards the parking lot.

"A'ah {No}, that won't be necessary. I'm already in the area. Bani {Give me} ten minutes." Dr. Kwami sits on a pew in the parking lot.

"Toh Engineer, take your time." They end the call and Dr Kwami looks at the time on his wristwatch. It's way past Maghrib time. He sighs and decides try calling Afnan again to let her know that he's in Massachusetts, but as usual, her phone is switched off.

"Doctor! Assalamu Alaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh {May the peace and blessings of Allah be with you}." A tall bulky man taps Dr. Kwami's shoulders.

Dr Kwami raises his head and smiles.

"Ameen wa alaikas salam Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh Engineer. Ka rama kenan {May they be unto you too. So now you've retaliated}." They share a short laugh as they shake hands.

"Doctor kayi kiba fah. Koh kayi aure ne bamu sani bah {You've gotten fat. Did you get married without our knowledge}?" They laugh and start walking towards the car - a black Venza.

"I'm not married fah. Although I'm planning to get married before the end of next month." Engineer stops walking, leaving his mouth agape.

"Doctor Aliyu Usman Kwami, don't play." Dr. Kwami laughs.

"Engineer Abdullahi Adam, I'm not playing, I'm serious. That's what brings me here." Engineer continues to walk beside Dr. Kwami.

"Amma gaskiya {But frankly} the girl must be lucky to have you. Who is this lady? Do I know her?" Dr. Kwami's smiles softly.

"I'm actually the one lucky to have her. Her name is Farida. I doubt if you know her." Engineer nods.

"Toh Allah ya sanya albarka ya bada zuri'a dayyaba. Kai, abu yayi kyau fah {May Allah bless it and give you a wonderful family. That's very good}." Dr. Kwami chuckles and they enter the car.

"Amma daga gidanka zuwa {But from your house to} University of Massachusetts, how far is it?" Dr. Kwami asks as engineer revs the car to life.

"I could take you. I'm on leave, kasan madam tayi nauyi {you know madam is heavily pregnant} and her EDD is in the next two days." Dr Kwami's eyes widen.

"Na nawa kenan {how many so far}?"

"Uku {three}." Dr. Kwami nods, muttering Maa Shaa Allah.

"Allah ya sauketa lafiya {May Allah deliver her safely}." Engineer mutters an Ameen and they continue to discuss and catch up throughout the ride.