9. Disgraced

Dr. Kwami follows Fatima's car, not sure if he's doing the right thing. He knows that Fatima is now married. And for all he knows, she might be going to her husband's house and not her parents'. But he's going to take his chances. What harm will it bring?

He parks together with them and watches as someone opens the gate and they drive in. He sits in the car and contemplates, should he go inside? Or... What does he do?

He decides to try his luck by seeing if he can get to see Afnan. What's the worse that can happen? He walks out, muttering a bismillah and knocks on the door. The door opens and a man steps out. He closes the door behind him and faces Dr. Kwami.

"Yes?" Dr. Kwami smiled at him.

"Assalamu Alaikum." The man narrows his eyes at him before returning his greeting.

"I was wondering if Farida, sorry, Afnan was around." The man eyes him skeptically.

"Why do you ask?"

"I want to see her. Can you please tell her Doctor Aliyu Usman Kwami is here to see her?"

"Wait here." The man gives Dr. Kwami one last look before going inside. The latter hears the sound of a lock being clicked in place.

Fatima sits with great difficulty with Aqsam - her husband - 's help. They start to discuss about Fatima's health and everything else when the gateman comes in.

"Oga there's a man outside requesting to see Afnan. He says he's Dr. Aliyu Usman Kwali." Abba flares his nose in anger and turns to Afnan who is meekly trying to hide from father's piercing gaze.

Amal has to cup her mouth so she can stifle her laughter. Her father will smack her for laughing in such a situation.

"Let him in, we're coming down." Innayo whips her head up, wondering what's going through her husband's head.

The gateman nods respectfully and leaves. Abba looks at his daughter.

"Keh, dubeni nan. How does he know our house?" Abba thunders making Afnan shake. She hates this side of her father.

"Talk to me!" Afnan starts crying.

"Baban nana please." Innayo holds her crying daughter. Abba glares at his wife.

"Follow me." He says pointedly at Afnan and walks out of the room.

"Ammi, Adda, please talk to Abba." Afnan cries.

"Just go, nothing will happen. We'll be there with you." Innayo says standing up. Fatima also stands up earning her a glare from Innayo.

"Ki ma koma ki zauna. You're not going anywhere. Aqsam, don't let her stand up." Fatima pouts.

Innayo leads her daughter down the stairs to where Dr. Kwami is standing with head lowered. The sound of their footsteps make him look up slightly. His face breaks into a smile at the sight of Afnan, but his smile falls when he sees her red blotched puffy eyes and bloodshot nose.

"Afnan, who is he?" Afnan raises her head slightly and steals a glance at Dr. Kwami looking every inch handsome in his button up shirt and dress pants.

"He's... He's Ammi's doctor." Dr. Kwami twists his face in confusion. Is that what he means to Afnan? Just her mother's doctor?

"Young man, be honest, tsakaninka da Allah, what is going on between you and my daughter."

"I love her." He simply says. Innayo smiles at the man's wisdom. He didn't say they're in a relationship or Afnan loves him, he simply puts his feelings out.

"And you followed my daughter here?" Dr. Kwami lowers his head.

"Actually, luck just happens to be by my side. I found this house by chance." Abba raises a brow at that.

"I'm going to say this and I'll say it just once. I hate repeating myself by the way. You're going to leave my daughter alone and never look back. Find someone else to pester." Dr. Kwami looks up. What is the man saying? Just leave Farida alone? For what?

"Sir, I love her. And I intend to marry her In Shaa Allah." Abba raises a brow at that.

"Are you a pedophile?" Innayo gasps at her husband's accusation, how can he say that like he's talking about the weather?

"Because only a pedophile claims to love children. My daughter is just a child. She doesn't even know what she's doing for Allah's sake! She hasn't even turned eighteen yet." Dr. Kwami keeps quiet. This man here is going to be his father inlaw, so he's going to persevere.

"Now, leave." Dr. Kwami looks at Afnan who gives him a pleading look.

"Leave or I ask the gateman to throw you out!" Dr. Kwami raises his head.

"I'm sorry sir, I'll be taking my leave now." Dr. Kwami looks at Afnan and she nods apologetically at him. He smiles at her and leaves.

"And you! You better stay away from that man. You are not allowed to have boyfriends until you've graduated. You think because you're in university now you're all grown up? You're just a child, a small clueless child! That man obviously just wants to get in your pants. He just want to defile you!" Abba hisses and walks away.

Innayo looks apologetically at her daughter before following her husband.

Later in the night.

"Afnan! Afnan!" Afnan flinches at the sound of her father's voice shouting her name. She just concluded her isha prayers.

"Na'am Abba ina zuwa." Afnan says in her loudest voice. She doubts he'll hear her, he never does. Her voice is naturally meek so he definitely won't hear her.

She folds her prayer mat and walks out only to stop herself from bumping into her father last minute.

"Didn't you hear me calling you?" Afnan lowers her head.

"I'm sorry Abba. I answered."

"Go and get your clothes." Afnan's twists her face in confusion.

"Are you deaf?!" Abba thunders making Afnan flinch.

"No Abba." He smiled in satisfaction.

A/N
Hehe, Abba met his son inlaw😂😂

I actually enjoyed writing this chapter.

Do vote and comment. Thanks. Bye