Chapter 41

They got comfy around the coffee table. Reheated lasagna steamed on plates at the ready. Tony finished filling their glasses with wine as Mahogany relayed Guy's adventure inside the police station.

"This is taking forever," Guy said. His voice was an octave higher than usual.

"You're right. This is a time suck. There's got to be a better way to do this." Mahogany huffed against the couch. Bits of slashed foam caught in her curls as they protruded from the cushion.

Guy began pacing the living room, muttering under his breath. As he passed by the stereo, light static filled the air.

"Why does your stereo sound like it's possessed?" Evelina said.

"No idea," Tony said. "It's not even on." Then, without warning, he jumped to his feet, clapped his hands together, and whooped. "I get it now!" He dashed off to the back of the house, leaving Mahogany, Evelina, and Guy staring perplexed after him.

Tony came back into the living room, hunched as he walked. A heavy book in his hands. "The application of amplification serves as a means for permitting specters to express their will to those not haunted by the deceased," Tony said, reading the passage aloud.

"Ghasuduent," Evelina said.

"That's it. The application of amplification." He slammed the book shut with a triumphant snap. A small plume of dust lifted into the air above the pages.

Mahogany and Evelina stared at Tony, their expressions blank.

"English, Tony. Speak English," Mahogany said.

"Amplification," Tony said and pointed to the stereo. "Guy is affecting the radio with his presence. If we find the right frequency, we," he motioned to Evelina and himself, "should be able to hear him."

Guy stared at the stereo and waved his hand in front of it. Static cracked each time his hand passed in front of the equipment.

"If I could kiss him, I would," Guy said, gazing at Tony.

"Get in line," Mahogany said. "Try standing inside the stereo, Guy." Mahogany said.

"Good idea." Guy floated into the stereo, his bottom half disappearing into the device and the record cabinet it sat upon. Static blared from the speakers, and Tony, Mahogany, and Evelina threw their hands over their ears.

Guy leaped away from the stereo. "Sorry."

"Now to find the right frequency." Tony knelt before the stereo. "Guy, can you please try again?"

"Wow, a please?" He gave Mahogany a pointed look. "So polite."

"Oh, stop your bellyaching," Mahogany said. "You're so sensitive."

Guy jutted his chin out and stepped into the stereo again, avoiding moving through Tony.

The stereo screamed static as Tony spun the dial, moving through the FM stations. At points, the static decreased in volume, only to grow to a deafening magnitude again.

"Try AM," Mahogany yelled above the din.

Tony gave a slight nod and pressed the AM button on the stereo's silver face. The static lowered in decibels immediately but persisted. Tony rotated the station dial more slowly. About a millimeter before 700 AM, the air fell dumb. Tony released the dial as if it might burn him.

"OK, Guy. Say something," Tony said.

"Hello?" Guy said. The stereo transmitted his voice through the speakers as if she were a living being sharing a cup of tea.

Tony whooped again and did a little dance. Evelina squealed and jumped up and down while Guy threw his hands over his mouth and laughed-sobbed. Mahogany smiled at everyone.