Chapter 26

The following morning, Tony arrived early at Mahogany's and knocked on the back kitchen door. Mahogany pulled open the door before Tony's knuckles had finished knocking.

"I stopped by Hot Brews on my way," he said, holding out a white to-go cup adorned with a silhouette of a witch flying past a full moon.

"Thanks." Mahogany took a grateful gulp. "Where's Evelina?"

"She couldn't get out of work." Tony took a step back as Mahogany crossed the threshold. Bazgul leaped onto her shoulder as she passed his cat tree.

Nervous jitters buzzed in Mahogany's stomach at the thought of being alone with Tony for the hour-long drive to and from the beach. A slight sweat glazed her underarms.

"That's too bad," she said, both meaning it and glad to have solo time with Tony.

Tony opened the passenger door, and Mahogany and Bazgul slid into the seat. "Thank you."

Tony replied with his stunning smile and headed around the car.

"Smooth," Guy said as he passed through the back passenger door and settled on the bench seat.

Mahogany ignored Guy. "Do you know where we're going?" she asked as Tony hopped behind the wheel and started the engine.

"Yep, already plugged into the GPS." Tony backed out onto the street and headed toward Old Beach Road.

"What exactly are we going to do once we get out there?" Mahogany said. She peered out the window, all too aware of how close Tony's arm was to hers.

"Stake out the house. I've brought snacks." Tony smiled, his eyes twinkling.

"He opens doors, brings coffee, and provides snacks. What's not to love?" Guy said from the back seat. "He brought kettle chips and Milk Duds. If you don't want to date him, I will."

Mahogany returned Tony's smile, her heart hammering in her chest. "You are a true crime junkie," she said before glancing in the back seat. "Guy, quit snooping around Tony's car."

Using the rear-view mirror, Guy stuck his tongue out at Mahogany.

"It's been a secret dream of mine to become a private investigator," Tony said. "Wow. I've never told anyone that before."

"Why not?"

"Well, my mom is a cop, and she hates PIs. Much like our Detective Sawyer." Tony guided the car through the gently curving road toward the beach. Behind them, Pandemonium fell away, giving room for thick groves of pines growing on either side of the blacktop.

"In San Francisco?"

"Yeah, she ended up becoming a detective. She's pretty cool."

"She sounds like it."

"How about you? You mentioned growing up in Pandemonium." Tony glanced at Mahogany before returning his eyes to the road.

Mahogany gazed out the window. She hated talking about her childhood. "Yeah. Neema and I got here when I was about a year old."

"Where were you before that?"

"The Boston area."

"Is that where the rest of your family is?"

"Yep."

"Do you ever see them?"

"Not exactly," Mahogany turned her attention back to Tony. "I'm surprised Evelina hasn't mentioned anything to you about it."

"About what?" Tony glanced between Mahogany and the road, a frown drawing his eyebrows together.

"About me. About how Neema and I came to Pandemonium." A light buzz rattled Mahogany's head, and a nervous tingle crawled over her scalp