Chapter 43

By the time they arrived at the brownstone, the hour had grown late. Sodium street lights cast their ghostly yellow glow, blanching the color from the cars parked along the wide sidewalk. For a moment, Mahogany, Tony, Evelina, and Guy stood regarding the unassuming facade of sand-colored brick and large bay windows.

"Shoot," Mahogany said. "Bazgul usually opens doors for me."

"Not to worry. I've been practicing." Tony pulled a small black case from his pocket and opened it. Metal picks of various sizes peaked out into the night. "After our chat at Tipsy's, I decided to invest in a lock pick set. I've been practicing on various locks around my uncle's place, which has been challenging considering Evelina's aunt did a stellar job placing protections on the place."

He started toward the front door when Mahogany stopped him. "Not that one. Let's go around back to the alley. Less probing eyes."

The ally wasn't as well-lit as the street. A few back porch lights drifted to the asphalt, creating semi-circles of illumination that traveled no further. Household garbage cans lined the narrow passages, giving off the stench of last night's fish dinner.

"Here we go," Mahogany said, stopping. Three narrow wooden steps led to a white-painted door. Black and yellow police caution tape crisscrossed the door, barring entry.

Tony tiptoed up the stairs. He inspected the lock and deliberated over his choice of picks.

"We don't have all night," Mahogany said, shifting her gaze up and down the ally, listening for the approach of anything that would foil their plans. She didn't want to join Neema in a cell.

At last, Tony made his choice and set to spring the lock. It only took him half a minute to ease the bolt out of position. "Wow, I mean, got it." Tony stood, stowed the pick set in his pocket, and opened the door.

The hinges, in need of oiling, squawked their protest. The trio cringed and waited for more porch lights to switch on as neighbors investigated the goings-on in the alley, but it appeared all nosy neighbors were tending to other business.

"Remind me to add hinge oil to our list of breaking and entering tools," Evelina said as she and Mahogany stepped through the police tape behind Tony.

The faint odor of coffee tinted the dark kitchen, lingering from when Guy and Magic Mike had occupied the house.

Mahogany closed the door behind them and locked it for safe measure. They moved as a unit through the house, down the hall, and into the study. Inside the cozy room, where Magic Mike and Guy lost their lives, hung a massive gilded mirror over the imposing brick fireplace.

Taking the canvas bag off her shoulder, Mahogany retrieved the book and read through the spell again. She lined the herbs and jars needed to produce the enchantment on the mantelpiece and lined a brass bowl brought from the Haughty Hemlock with quick light charcoal, sprinkling the mixture over the briquettes.

Movement in the mirror caught Mahogany's attention, and she turned to find Evelina dancing from foot to foot.

"What's the matter with you? You're making me nervous." Mahogany adjusted the brass bowl placement on the mantel until it was centered under the mirror.

"I have to pee," Evelina said. Even in the dim, moonlit room, Mahogany saw a blush creep into the Fae's cheeks.

"You went before we left the apothecary," Tony said.

"I know. I have a weak bladder when I'm committing a felony."

"You didn't have to pee when we broke into Thaddeus's room," Mahogany said, gesturing to Tony for his lighter.