Chapter 6

The following morning, the clattering of breaking glass woke Mahogany. She stretched and rubbed her puffy eyes and rolled out of bed as the garbage truck rumbled down the street. She groaned as she caught sight of her reflection in the mirror hanging on her bedroom door – her bright pink curls stood in matted clumps about her head.

"Good morning," said a cheerful voice.

Mahogany jumped as Guy materialized through her bedroom wall wearing a dopey grin.

"If you're going to stick around, you need to work on bringing me coffee in the morning," Mahogany said, rifling through her closet.

"Move objects? Is that possible?" Guy held his hands in front of his face and looked them over. "That would be incredible. It would be like I never died."

"Except I'm the only person who can see or hear you. Not quite like being alive," Mahogany said. She grabbed items suitable for public consumption and headed to the bathroom for a much-needed shower. "Oh, and if I catch you in the bathroom at any point, I will perform an exorcism."

Guy, who had followed Mahogany to the bathroom threshold, tilted his head in thought. "Exorcisms only work on demons inhabiting humans, by the way?" He folded his hand across his narrow chest. "You know what you could do? Solve my murder."

Mahogany shot Guy a look that would have murdered him.

"Got it. Privacy is paramount." He held his hands up in surrender.

Mahogany gave him a wry smile and closed the door. If Guy had been alive, the door would have smashed him in the face.

****

With a relaxed sigh, Mahogany headed downstairs to the kitchen. Having washed the grime of the previous day away left her renewed. She skipped into the kitchen. Her silver pentagram bounced jauntily on its chain as she beelined straight for the coffeepot. Liquid black joy greeted her with its earthy aroma. She inhaled the intoxicating scent and poured herself a large mug. She added copious amounts of sugar and milk, taking a quick swig from the jug before placing it back in the fridge. As she stirred her restorative brew, Neema strode into the kitchen.

"Here's the port-o-hole I mentioned last night." Neema waved a white legal-sized envelope as she spoke.

Mahogany's mood fell. How could she have forgotten about the anelace? With a groan, she took another sip of her light brown coffee. Despite the several tablespoons of sugar, it tasted bitter.

"You better get a move on if you're going to break into Pandemonium's finest," Neema said, offering the envelope. Mahogany took it with a wain smile.

"How are you going to get into the evidence locker?" Guy said. He'd stuck his head into the coffee carafe. "If I close my eyes, I can almost taste it."

"Not me, we," Mahogany said, nodding to Guy and Bazgul, who had crept onto the kitchen island from his cat tower. "You two are going to help me. But first, I need food."

_____

A/N: I wonder what Mahogany has planned? This situation just keeps getting more and more complicated.

This chapter is dedicated to the wonderful @amberkbryant whose new book, The True One, is knock-your-socks-off amazing. If you like paranormal romances, this is the book for you. Amber does such a fantastic job building suspense and laying her characters you won't want to miss a single word.