Chapter 36

Mahogany and Guy pulled up in front of Backmasking Records. Through a void in the patchwork of band fliers and album art posters taped to the inside of the massive plate glass window, Mahogany watched Tony behind the counter. She took a deep breath and headed for the door.

A bell over the door announced her arrival. Tony looked over. The rote greeting he automatically offered customers died on his lips, and a happy grin lifted his cheeks, making his almond-shaped eyes squint.

"Hey, Mahogany. What brings you over this way?" Tony asked, coming around the counter to greet her properly.

"I thought I might need a new album. Any suggestions?" Mahogany glanced around the store. Long, low tables ran the room's length, upon which sat bins of records and CDs for browsing.

"Well, you've come to the right place. What kind of music are you into?"

Mahogany stared at Tony, her mind blank. She hadn't thought this far ahead. What kind of music did she like? If she were honest that she loved Pagan rock like Faith and the Muse, would he judge her as a tasteless hack? He didn't seem the type to be snobby about music and such, but she didn't want to take any chances. She eyed his t-shirt. The album cover for Iron Butterfly's Sun and Steel stared back at her.

"I wanted to try something new." She pointed to his shirt. "I haven't heard of them."

Tony grabbed the bottom corners of his shirt and held it out for inspection. "Do you like 70s rock?" He smiled, his eyes holding a hopeful gleam.

Mahogany shrugged. "Maybe. I'm feeling adventurous." She returned his smile.

"All right. CD or vinyl?"

"Vinyl, please," she said, hoping a record would be more impressive. Plus, she had purchased a small player a few years back to listen to some old records she'd found in the attic. It had been the day she'd unearthed her beautiful turquoise boots.

"Follow me." Tony led her through the tables until he found the correct crate. He flipped through the cardboard covers until he landed on one matching his shirt. "We just got this in yesterday. Someone was cleaning out their dad's old albums and brought it in." He lifted the record from the bin and handed it to Mahogany.

The album was scuffed and worn with bits of frayed cardboard at the edges. The scent of old paper and dust drifted off the cover, reminding Mahogany of the study at the brownstone's study. She turned it over in her hand, examining the song list. "Beyond the Milky Way sounds familiar."

"It's one of the singles. The other is I'm Right, I'm Wrong. Sun and Steel was Iron Butterfly's last album, and it's a bit more experimental than their earlier work, but, well, I like it," Tony said. He shifted from foot to foot. "You know, if you don't enjoy it, you can return it. We have a very liberal return policy." He puffed out his chest and pretended to straighten a non-existent tie.

Smiling, Mahogany looked into Tony's hazel eyes. "I'm sure I'll love it."

He grinned, his shoulders relaxing. "All right then." He returned to the counter with Mahogany in tow.

As she bought the album, she screwed up her nerve. "So, I was," she took a breath, pausing. "Would you like to get ice cream over at Diabolical Delights tonight?"

"Ice cream?" came a familiar, effervescent voice from behind Mahogany. She turned, and her gaze landed on Evelina.

Evelina threw her shining golden hair over her shoulder and held a CD out to Tony. Mahogany stepped aside to let Evelina to the counter.

"This is such a great album," Tony said, removing the white plastic theft deterrent attached to the case.

"I'm so happy you had a copy. I destroyed my last one," Evelina said, pulling her wallet from her purse.

Mahogany glanced at Evelina's new purchase. Faith and the Muse, Evidence of Heaven.

"Well, isn't he full of surprises," Guy said over Mahogany's shoulder. "I'm pretty sure I saw this album in your collection."

Evelina nodded at Tony. "It's creepy in the best way."

"The way the vocals interweave with one another and the drums," Tony said. He threw his head back, his eyes closed.

"So," Evelina said, turning to Mahogany. "What time should we grab ice cream?"

"Oh," Mahogany said, picking at the frayed corner of her new album. "It was just a thought."

"How does seven sound?" Evelina said, glancing from Mahogany to Tony.

"It sounds great. I've been meaning to check out Diabolical Delights since I moved here," Tony added. "I love ice cream."

"Well, it's going to blow you away," Evelina said, leaning on the counter towards Tony. "A couple of enchanters runs it. Whatever flavor you desire, they'll have it, even if you didn't know it."

Mahogany headed to the door. "I'll see you tonight. Text me later." She waved and made her escape.

"Wow. That was stunning," Guy said. "The way she swooped in like that. Does she have a clue you're into Tony?"

"Guy, you can shut up anytime," Mahogany said, shoving her helmet onto her head with too much force.

"Sorry." Guy mimed, zipping his lips shut and throwing away the key. "But seriously, does she have a clue?"

Mahogany thrust the key into the ignition and wrenched it to the right. A second later, the Vespa's motor flared to life. She revved the engine, pulled into traffic, and headed to the Haughty Hemlock.