3.5

"I...love you too...Xie Lian."

Hua Cheng stayed like that for a while until he saw a soft blue glow. He looked up. It was a small ghost fire.

The ghost fire jumped up and spun around Hua Cheng a couple of times, as if it was happy to see him. "Gege?" The ghost fire jumped up and down like a child. Hua Cheng smiled and wiped his tears away. He brought his hand to the temple of his head and called for Yin Yu to get the finest casket. Almost without hesitation, yin yu said he'd tend to it right away.

Yin Yu knocked on the door of the armory and walked in with the casket. "Just as you wished for, my lord. Is there anything else I could assis-" When Yin Yu turned around he saw his highness drop dead and a watery eyed Hua Cheng. "WHAT HAPPENED TO HIS HIGHNESS?!" Yin Yu panicked and put his hands to his head, wide eyed. Hua Cheng pointed at the ghost fire that hid behind his hair from the sudden loud noise. "He'll be back soon their's no need to panic." Hua Cheng stated as he walked towards the beautiful casket. He cleaned his husband and put him in gorgeous robes with spiritual power before he gingerly placed his husband down inside it. Yin Yu cleared his throat in attempt to gatherhis composure. "I...trust he will, my lord." He said carefully and bowed to Hua Cheng. With that Yin Yu was dismissed and bowed once again and to Xie lians body to pay respect and swiftly left.

"This one presumes Gege must go away for a while so you can obtain the power to have a physical form?" Hua Cheng said nearly in a whisper.

The ghost fire, nuzzed onto Hua Chengs cheek as a comforting yes.
"Take your time, your highness. I'll be waiting for you here." Hua Cheng leaned into the cold touch.

With that the ghost fire swirled around him once more and left.
Hua Cheng sighed. He had to wait once more. But the wait is always worth it. He'd wait for all eternity if he had to. Just for his beloved.

...

Many months has past and Xie Lian has yet to return. The string seemed to slowly reappear, showing a red in a low opacity. Hua Cheng had placed Xie Lians body with his parents. He visited the place frequently, paying respects to his family as well as his husband.

He always found time in his day to bring him flowers and small offerings. And talked about his day or about a new book he picked up.

His ruling on ghost city had gotten harsher, the civilians where terrified to even look in he general direction. They wondered and whisper to each other,

"where is his husband?"

"Is that why he's been cranky?"

"Did they break up?!"

"No you idiot! If they broke up he wouldn't have that string attached to his finger anymore!"

Rumors are going around that heaven forbade Xie Lian to see Hua Cheng anymore because a god seen with a ghost is unslightly. Other Rumors are that he had a business trip to heaven and had to stay there for a few months to complete missions. The tales spread like wild fire in ghost city.

Hua Cheng honestly didn't care what was going around as long as it wasn't bad mouthing his beloved. He was more focused on the return of his husband.

After he left he felt empty, many days had felt dreary and gnawing.

Many nights with a big empty bed.

Many days with the presence of solitude.

Many times he nearly started sobbing while visiting his grave.

But he held it all together. He knew he was coming back. He promised he'd come back to him and he will.

...