An Essence of Redemption

There seemed to be a limit on the maximum speed Des could reach as she traveled between realms, realities, timelines, and universes. Wanting to go faster was pointless, as the red-streaked blonde had once attempted to increase her speed, yet the amount of extra effort made no difference. On top of that, Pearl was with her. She didn't want to try anything that could potentially harm the brunette. Other than ensuring her parents were safe, the girl in her arms was her number one priority. She loved her.

The time traveler's speed didn't really matter though, the probability of success didn't depend on how fast she could travel, but rather which point in the timeline she and her girlfriend returned. For their next step, success or failure would be determined by Pearl's actions.

Des had been around Rachel enough to know the Watcher's sight had its limitations. She wouldn't be able to see the outcome of her decisions if they directly impacted those she loved or her own survival. Though, it did seem like Rachel knew Marzanna needed to extinguish the flame so she could light it with Kate's recording. Maybe, like everything else, the Watcher's abilities could grow from practice. Rachel pushed boundaries by traveling out of her realm and helping Des's parents each time they were in danger. Maybe she continued to level-up during her time as the Watcher. Despite wanting to explore her new ability, Des couldn't concern herself with Rachel or her limitations at the moment.

She was restricted from fully seeing what would come next after they returned. Like a thick mist in the forest, the probabilities were hazy. They were mixed around and out of order like a trillion-piece puzzle with no corners to help put it together.

Des knew Pearl didn't understand her own ability yet; she didn't even know she had a power as far as Des could see. Several moments from her past revealed what the girl could do, but the painter was in a state of denial. Her first two experiences could have been viewed as coincidental, but the third was clear. She was the only one who could challenge Death, and Des knew exactly how to push her in the right direction.

Standing beside the living room window, nervously peeking out the faux wood blinds, Esther kept watch while Max's and Chloe's bodies remained still on the couch, side by side. She used two fingers to slightly part the slats creating a gap large enough to see down both sides of the street and across the road.

The former zealot no longer cared about her past faith. Nor did she allow intrusive thoughts about not fulfilling her purpose to enter her mind. Her one chance at redemption was to protect the married couple's bodies while they did whatever it was they needed to do. She wasn't quite sure what Chloe was up to, but after she closed her eyes, Esther thought she saw Max's body shift, marginally; barely enough to even perceive it.

Suddenly, she noticed it again, out of the corner of her eyes. This time she knew, without a shadow of doubt, that Max's body moved. Esther twisted around to face the couch they were lying on. She tiptoed over and looked down. She could see the paleness in the brunette's cheeks slightly filling with color.

Leaning down, Esther placed her ear as close to Max's mouth as possible without touching her, and she could hear barely detectable, tiny streams of air moving in and out of her mouth.

"Holy, damn," the black-haired girl whispered, eyes widened. "Chloe is saving her. But... how?"

As soon as the hushed question entered her mind, Esther heard an almost metallic buzz fill the room. A cold, dark breeze created goosebumps on her skin. An ominous feeling of dread filled her heart.

"Hello, Esther," Marzanna spoke before an impish chuckle. "What are you still doing here?"

The girl's heart rate increased and fear enveloped her mind. She stood from her crouching position over the two bodies on the couch, turning towards the interior of the room. Esther made eye contact with Death. The woman smiled as she took a step closer.