Forget the Horror Here

They could see the wrought iron, rectangular archway from the Subaru as they parked in one of the allotted spaces near the entrance

They could see the wrought iron, rectangular archway from the Subaru as they parked in one of the allotted spaces near the entrance. In bold white lettering, from left to right, a wooden sign that stretched the length of the top portion read: ARCADIA BAY CEMETERY. An eerie chill wafted through Max's mind as she realized Victoria was correct about this place. The storm unforgivingly devastated the entire town but left the cemetery completely intact. In fact, it looked exactly the same way she remembered, and it was beginning to break her heart all over again. The three girls exited the car and began slowly plodding towards the graveyard.

"Chlo, I... I hate it here." She knew her voice sounded shaky and it made sense, as she was choking back the tears that threatened. In her mind, she felt selfish. To her, this awful place was where she experienced the crippling horror of burying the kind soul who was like a father to her, while feeling guilty she would soon be leaving her best friend all alone at any moment. Even more devastatingly, she had to bury the love of her life, her partner-in-time, her favorite person, her Captain, and her soulmate not five years later. She remembered the overwhelming grief she experienced as she watched Chloe's lifeless body lie in complete stillness knowing she could have changed things for a different outcome. Her casket was lowered, and she believed she'd never see the girl that meant everything to her ever again.

"Max, are you okay?" Her spouse's voice helped release her from her own thoughts, momentarily bringing her back to the present. She felt an encouraging arm on her shoulder sending a slight relief to her worried heart. A few hours earlier, she felt a degree of strength and vigor flowing through her body as she was prepared to face Arcadia Bay once more. But physically being back in the town, especially the cemetery, filled her with an enormous sadness.

"Yeah, I think so. Let's just get in and get out. Fuck this place." Chloe pulled her closer into a side hug, slightly touching at the hips, and it reminded Max of the time they were reconnecting in the junkyard while casually strolling down the train tracks.

"Since you're the mysterious superhero... I'll be your faithful chauffeur and companion."

"My powers might not last, Chloe."

"That's okay-we will. Forever."

She always knew her connection with Chloe was unique, but when she heard her punk use the word "forever" that day, she knew she meant it. Max wasn't exactly sure when she realized she was in love with the girl, but the shared moment was special, and her embrace felt warm, and loving... and real. That week was tough in so many ways, but she didn't harbor many negative feelings about it anymore. Without the darkness they experienced during the first storm week, she and her amazing wife wouldn't be where they were today, and she trembled at the thought of where she might have ended up without the girl's love and devotion.

This feeling was different, however. Being back in such a dreadful place was like digging into skin and peeling back a scar so old it was barely still visible. Max's heart raced as the girls continued up the slight incline, past the bench at the entrance, and towards the main section of gravesites. The rain had lessened to a sprinkle when they arrived, but it was still enough to soak into the fabric of their nice business clothes. If not for the dark clouds, the sun would have illuminated everything on their path, but currently, it was pitch-black like nighttime. Thankfully, the lone streetlamp shined brightly enough to show the way.