3

JIMIN POV

Jimin's dad and his siblings would often send letters with his uncle.

At first, it had been every visit, but they had gradually gotten less frequent over the years.

The letters often said the same thing that they hoped he wasn't lonely.

Jimin always found that strange.

He wasn't alone he had Rufus's constant presence by his side, and the goats, of course.

It was a while before he got his head around the difference between being lonely and being alone.

It had been hard at first, not having anyone to talk to.

So he'd talked to Rufus. The dog was a good listener.

But Rufus wasn't a puppy any longer, he was getting on in years. And Jimin dreaded the day he'd lose his constant companion, his only friend.

They had a routine, him and Rufus. Each day, they'd walk the various paths across the island.

The loop around the headland, the stream, the cliff path, the beaches. He liked to mix it up, make every day a little different.

Within a year, they had known every inch of the island, every one of its secrets.

When a goat went missing, they always found it. Him and Rufus, they were a team.

The island didn't have visitors, strictly speaking, except Jimin's uncle and his men.

They came on a schedule of sorts. At first, when they were late, it made him anxious. He worried that he'd been forgotten, that no one would come for him.

Over time, he learned that the goats were valuable. Someone would always come.

One year, a boat had anchored in the cove and a group had rowed a small boat to the beach.

Even at a distance, Jimin had recognized the men as alphas and the boat as the kind of yacht rich people took vacations in.

He had sense enough to keep out of sight and not let them find him

A lone omega amongst a group of rowdy, drunk alphas looking to party? They'd eat him alive.

Which was why, when he saw the boat anchored off the cove that morning, he gave it a long look before deeming it harmless.

It looked like a fishing boat.

They sometimes stopped nearby, fishing for cod or putting their nets out for prawns.

They had no reason to come ashore. Still, Jimin would keep away from that side of the island.

Being seen might draw attention, bring someone curious to see what was going on.

So confident was he that he'd chosen the right course of action, that he almost stumbled over the two alphas hidden in the grass halfway up the hill.

He froze in surprise, and fear, but the two men hadn't even noticed him, too intent on one another.

Kissing. They were kissing.

Putting a hand on Rufus's collar to keep him quiet, he planned to slowly slip away and hide until they were gone.

But the alpha on top turned his head to the side and saw him.

The smart thing to do was run.

His brain knew that. Too bad his body wasn't listening, rooted to the spot at the sight of not one but two alphas.