Part 6: Happy Birthday

(Heeheehee, the chapter naming plague has spread to this book! ALL MUST FEAR.)

-

The day had finally come. The day of your birthday. Almost a full year since Herobrine had made that "bet" to your father, you would be turning 20 at last! You were excited, since that meant finally, maybe you would be taken a little more seriously in the castle. You had attempted to propose a few of your plans to your father several times, but he was either too busy or sleeping. Though, you did manage to pass a few things through Michael, which actually did end up helping Amara! The king's health was still worsening. Doctors started to visit daily... You started getting real worried...

...This was exactly what happened before your mother died...

But you chose not to think about that today! Despite all of the chaos going on in the world, you hoped everyone would at least be able to take a day off to celebrate your birth! You had been really polite lately, helping the maids as if you were one yourself and caring for your father as best you knew how to. You hoped, at the very least, that they would see your desire for connection and make the effort to repay you by coming. You worried no one would just because of how hectic things constantly were! Strangely, said things began to calm down the week before your birthday! Herobrine stopped his daily raids along the country boarders, which had been ever so slowly chipping away at Amara's boundaries for a while now. So...you hoped with the little less stress, everyone would be able to come and at least visit with you...right?

Well after cleaning; cooking a decent sized meal of chicken over a bed of rice with some veggies on the side; baking a terribly wonky but decently tasty cake, decorated by yours truly; decorating the dining room with what little streamers and balloons you could find; and passing out party invitations to everyone...no one had shown...

You sat alone in the dining room, eagerly waiting for someone to show up. On you, you wore a casual but cute dress. Nothing too special! Your hands twiddled in your lap, you chasing away the urge to nibble your fingernails. An awkward chuckle of yours broke through the silence. "Heh-heh... Must have gotten the time wrong.." Glancing at one of the cards you had made, indeed, it had written down on it 8:00 PM sharp!... It was now just past 9... It was already dark outside. Only the light of a dim chandelier overhead lit this specific portion of the room.

Whimpering slightly to yourself in defeat, you laid your elbows on the table, arms crossing each other to be used as a pillow for your forehead. This had happened a few times before in your life..when things would get rough for a time and everyone was too busy...

...But you always had your mother there to be alone with you...

Tears stung your dry eyes, startling you up and out of your seat. Stay there any longer and you may just start crying! Your hands curled close to your chest as you meekly walked down the hall, quiet as a mouse, walking on your tiptoes while wearing nothing but socks for footwear.

You finally arrived at the closed doors of your father's bedroom. Quietly, you pried one open and slid inside. The room was dark. The wall facing you was made completely of filled bookshelves. To your left was his bed facing said wall of books. Directly in front of you..was a desk. At it he sat, drapes over one of the open books in his sleep. On all sides of him were piles upon piles of paper and leather-bound books. Your father snored softly, mouth hung open a smidge, allowing drool to slip from it onto some ancient texts. You only glanced at the thick book briefly. In it were passages and facts about the Nether. You sighed... He must have been really doing all the research he could. Hopefully, you thought..this reading of his would actually lead to something.

Gently, you placed your hand on your father's shoulder. "..Dad...?" Your father jumped from his sleep, prying his face from the large page of the book.