“That letter. It’s from someone who was really close to my mum. Apparently she only just found out...about her death,” I muse.

               “Are you alright?” Carter asks, holding onto my hand.

               “Yeah. It’s just weird, you know? I mean, if she really was close to mum, wouldn’t she have known? Mum died like 5 years ago! If they were really that close wouldn’t they have been in contact?” I wonder aloud.

               “Maybe? Maybe she just wants an excuse to see you? The daughter of her close friend? Perhaps she feels guilty for not taking you in?” Carter suggests.

               “Yeah, you’re right. I’m just over thinking it. I can’t explain it. It was like I had this weird feeling in the pit of my stomach,” I admit softly.

Carter traces the outline of my lip with his tongue lightly, sending tingles down my spine. He lifts me up slightly, until I sit straddled over his lap.

               “Where were we?” he whispers huskily.

I bite my bottom lip as I grin, and within moments our lips are crashing into each other.

***

(Haden’s POV)

               “You’re really alright?” Matt asks uncertainly.

               “Dude, relax, will you? I feel as fit as a fiddle! No joke!” I murmur, smiling serenely.

               “How the hell? It’s been four hours!” Matt murmurs, frustrated at not being able to figure it out.

               “You know, you guys were probably so worried over me that you didn’t notice quite how much time has passed. It’s been a day, easily,” I remind the guys.

Matt stops dead in his tracks. I can see he’s doing the mental maths in his head.

               “There’s no chance! We left the mansion at little over two in the afternoon. It’s barely half past six now!” he corrects, looking triumphant.

I shoot a grin at Alex who smiles back. Obviously Alex knows where Matt’s going wrong.

               “Hey Matt, you’ve been looking at your watch, haven’t you?” Alex teases.

               “Yes, Einstein! When people want to know the time, they take a look at these revolutionary devices known as watches,” Matt murmurs condescendingly.

Instead of taking offence, Alex bursts out in a fit of laughter. “Haden, you gotta tell him before he makes a bigger fool out of himself, if that’s possible,” Alex guffaws.

               “Poor Matt, apparently we’ve been on Earth way too long! Have you really forgotten that our time passes 10 times faster?” I remind him.

Matt’s face immediately falls as he realises his mistake. He glares at Alex, who’s still laughing his head off.

               “Hmm, but it’s only been 4 hours back on Earth, yea?” I confirm.

               “Yup,” Matt answers, popping the p.

               “Good. How much trouble could Jess get into in four hours, right?” I joke before sobering up.

That’s right. A crap load! She’s possibly got the worst luck possible! She’s basically a walking, talking bulls eye for anything and everything unlucky!