"Dude, you can pick it up," I said, "You know I don't mind. I've known you for how many years?"

"I'd rather spend time with you, duh." He wrapped his arms around me tighter, pulling me closer to him.

This is why I loved him so much. He respected my wants and my needs and never held anything against me. And now we were going to be husband and wife in less than three weeks. Life couldn't get any better.

***

Today was the day.

Today was the day I was going to be married.

"Okay, for real I thought you were going to be the last of us to get married," my best friend, Jade, gushed. She was trying to fix the straps of her red mermaid bridesmaid dress, her pale skin flushed and patchy from exertion.

One of my distant friends from school came up from behind and fixed it for her, her blue-bell eyes flashing toward me sitting idly on the couch. "I know! And here you are, the first bride, chilling like it's just another day at the cafe or something."

"It's Varun," I clarified, rolling my eyes as I leaned back into the velvet chair. "We've known each other for years. I've got nothing to be nervous about."

"Yeah, but you're getting married. Which means commitment forever."

Jade cut in, "Which also means the same dick forever."

I laughed as Miranda wrinkled up her nose. "Ugh, TMI."

My mum had stuck her head in, checking on all of us. "Everything okay in here?"

"Yup, perfectly fine."

"The photographer's going to be here soon so come down when you can and we'll go to the church after."

"Cool." I really wasn't too bothered by all this. I guess that was the perk of marrying your high school sweetheart. As soon as mum left, the void was filled in by Claudia, Varun's childhood best friend, her long hair cascading in chocolate waves over rich dark chocolate skin that was exposed from her off-shoulder peach dress.

Her dark owl-like eyes widened seeing me and I sat up straighter. She was a sweetheart but I'd always felt like I needed her approval—needed to impress her—so that I seemed worthy enough to be with Varun. "You look absolutely stunning! Varun's gonna have a field day with you, girl."

I waved a timid hand in the air, feeling bashful. "Oh please, he knows what my face looks like without makeup and he's not going to be impressed, I'm telling you now."

"I'll beat his ass if he says anything. It's your day."

"It sure is." We hugged, the smell of lilacs overwhelming my senses. I pulled away and smiled, our hands interlocked as we squealed and jogged on the spot like little girls.

"Alright, now that fangirling is done and dusted," said Claudia, "I gotta go early to check up on my artwork that's going on display soon. I'll be real quick, okay?"

"Does that mean you'll miss the wedding?"

"God no, not even if I was stuck at the gallery. I'll see you at the church."

"Well, I am the bride. If you don't see me, I'd be concerned."

"Oh, what a comedian."

As she left, Jade wobbled up beside me and squeezed my arm. "Ready?"

I blew out a deep breath, fixing my puffy wedding dress that seemed to swallow everyone's path, including the lower half of my body. "Ready as I'll ever be."