Chapter 51

Sage got inside his studio apartment and let out a shaky breath. He doesn't know how he managed to climb the stairs and get inside. His vision was all blurry from the tears. 

He looked outside through the little window of his apartment. The space where his mate's car was now empty. 

Sage looked down in disappointment. Damien had left. He left after breaking the omega's heart into pieces. 

Sage wanted to hate the alpha. He desperately wanted to blame Damien for making him feel like this. He doesn't deserve this kind of treatment. 

But no matter how much sage wanted to blame Damien, he knew he couldn't. That would be selfish. It's not the alpha's fault. Damien is a grown man. He has the right to choose who he loves. Him loving Sage just because of the mate bond is not what the omega wants too. 

The love between them should be pure. It should come from inside the heart, not from the mate pull. Sage wanted that too but Damien wasn't going to give that to him. 

The alpha already has a girlfriend and it seems like he wouldn't leave her to give Sage a chance. What made the omega angry is the alpha's proposal. He talked about marking as if it is something so simple. 

He doesn't know how painful it is for an omega to watch their alpha be with another partner after marking them. He or she will go insane from the pain, sadness, and anger. 

Sage washed his face. He felt tired. Being in the car with Damien really affected his body. He felt giddy and energetic at that time but now that the alpha and his pheromones are gone, there was a strange feeling in his heart. Something like homesickness. 

He flopped down on his floor mattress with a heavy sigh. He knows he shouldn't be skipping meals but he doesn't have an appetite these days. No matter how much he tried to eat, he couldn't. 

Sage closed his eyes. A few days ago, he still had some hope left in him. Now, it's all starting to fade away. 

*

*

*

"Sage, are you sure you're alright? " Jude asked the omega. Everyone in the cafe was worried about Sage because the omega was looking more and more depressed every day. 

"I'm fine, " Sage tried to give him a small smile but he failed miserably. 

"You're not fine at all," Jude shook his head. "You have dark circles around your eyes. You're losing weight and you're tired easily. I know something is going on, " He said worriedly. "You might not want to talk to me and that's okay. I know a good therapist. She's amazing. Do you want to visit her sometimes?"

Sage immediately shook his head no. "I'm alright… It's just a phase… " He lied. "I'm probably stressed out by the college work," 

"Sage, if you're worried about money then please tell me. I'll help you as much as you want," 

Sage smiled. "It's not financial but thank you… I'll ask you whenever help is needed, I promise. Right now, I'm going through something I really can't share… I'm really sorry… "

"It's alright, Sage. I won't force you. I was just a little worried. You can take your time. Just take care of yourself, okay?" Jude gently patted the boy's back. 

Sage gave him a small nod and a soft smile before going back to his work. Even though the omega looked more and more exhausted every day, he worked diligently. He worked till he tired himself out and that was the thing that worried Jude the most. He's getting thinner and he's getting tired easily. 

These are bad signs. 

This happens usually when someone is going through a lot of stress or having some health issues. Jude can't figure out which one it is from Sage's behavior. The boy is really good at keeping things to himself. 

There's also another reason this could happen. Staying away from one's mate after they found them. 

Jude didn't think that would be the reason for Jude's problem. The omega never really showed any sign of meeting his mate. He rarely talks about mates these days. 

Jude sighed. Whatever it is, he's just going to be there for the omega whenever he needs him. 

*

*

*

Sage fastened his pace when he saw an all too familiar expensive car follow him. He pushed his earphones into his ear and acted like he didn't see Damien.

The omega quickly turned around the corner to avoid his car but Damien kept his pace in chasing him. 

Sage was planning to make a run for it when he got to his street and the road got less crowded. 

He did it as soon as he got the chance. He sprinted towards his street to avoid Damien catching him. 

But unfortunately, his short legs weren't fast enough to outrun Damien's expensive car. 

He came to a halt and gasped when the alpha stopped the car in front of him. 

The omega hunched over as he caught his breath. He shouldn't have run. He's already so exhausted. Running wasn't a good idea. 

"Trying to run away from me? " Damien huffed as he got out of his car. 

Sage glared at the alpha. He didn't utter a word but kept walking forward. 

Damien caught his wrist before he could walk away. "Look, I'm not trying to disturb you. I just want to talk to you, "

"I don't want to talk to you. Please let go of my hand, " Sage snapped. He was already exhausted. The alpha was making his head hurt even more. He knew nothing good was going to come out of this conversation so he didn't even want to listen to him. 

"Did you think about what I said?" 

"I didn't think about anything, " Sage took in a shaky breath. "I'm already exhausted. Just leave me alone, "

"I won't let you go unless you give me an answer, " Damien said stubbornly. 

"What answer do you want from me?" Sage snapped. "Do you want me to live with you like your mistress? Is that what you want from me? Guess what? I'll die before I stoop that low!"

"Hey, it's not like I'm dying to sleep with you!" Damien raised his voice, causing the omega to flinch. An alpha's anger was no joke. Sage didn't have the strength to fight against it. "What I'm trying to do is what's better for both of us. I can mark you to keep your physical pain away. We can find some way to—"

"Stop, " The omega breathed out, clutching the alpha's shirt weakly and pulling him closer. "You don't even know me. You haven't even asked…. So don't tell me you know what's better for me, " 

His lips trembled. "Just ask an omega—any omega you know how much it would h-hurt to do what you're asking me to do. D-Do you have no respect for me? D-Do you h-hate me?"

"Hey…" Damien softened his tone. 

"Just go home, please… " Sage released the alpha's shirt as he stepped back. He didn't dare to look up at Damien before turning around because he knew if he did that, he would break down in front of him. 

Sage took a deep breath as he walked forward. The alpha's scent gave him a little energy but that was draining out of him as he took each step away from him. Sage felt his legs go weak. His hands were trembling. 

He tried his best to stay steady but his head was spinning. He felt his vision blur and twist. 

All the omega could hear was a distant shout before his body hit the hard concrete pathway.