Alright,” Hawthorn's voice stayed steady, but I saw the fear in his eyes.

Clemins, go run up there and tell Sterling what she wants.” Turning his attention back to me, he said, “Don't get any ideas. I'm not stupid, I know the second I let my guard down you'll be gone. Although, I have to say this little act of yours is pretty convincing.”

For a moment, I considered doing what he feared and using my situation to my advantage, but I knew I couldn't. It was like my muscles had contracted, and the one thing I longed for was sleep. No, this wasn't some elaborate escape attempt. Hawthorn had nothing to worry about.

He's coming,” Tatiyana yelled down the hall, her worried voice echoing off the smooth tiles.

The guard nodded, and turned away, removing a communication device from his pocket.

Jaylee.” Tatiyana knelt down beside me, and lowered her voice. “Everyone out there is getting pretty anxious. Ian's not there, as I'm sure you know, but Julian is. If you want me to get a message to him or...”

I swiftly shook my head. Julian's grinning face sprung to my mind's eye. I dreaded the moment he found out, more than any of the others. It would shatter him. It had shattered me. Seconds later, the guard known as Sterling shoved his way through the door. Knowing that it was unwise to leave a group of the Compound's inhabitants unattended, Hawthorn hurried to take his place outside.

Here.” Sterling held the pile of folded laundry roughly out in front of him.

He didn't look directly at me as he did so. He could sense my discomfort and he was polite enough to avert his eyes.

Thanks,”I whispered, hugging the pile of white fabric to my chest.

Tatiyana looked at me then over to the guard. “Would you mind leaving while she changes?”

The relief that surged through me was visible on my face and I knew it. Sterling's eyes flitted over me briefly, trying to evaluate whether my weakness was genuine.

Sure.” His voice was tired as he nodded his head.

He'd probably realized that there was really no danger in leaving us in the shower room. It was no different than how they'd sent Tatiyana in alone. Her room was located in the high security area of the Compound, like mine, and we were brought to the showers one at a time, instead of all at once.

The clothes worn by the Compound's inhabitants were all the same, and very much in my comfort zone. Slipping the cool fabric over my legs, I heaved a sigh of relief. The shorts were made to breath and move freely, much like white basketball shorts. The simple tank top I pulled over my head was also white. But, for the first time, I found myself wishing that the uniform was more concealing. Of course, that would restrict my range of motion, but goose bumps still ran up and down my arms and I longed for something to cover my skin. The simple sports-bra and underwear also came as a relief. I didn't remember where I'd left mine.

You ready?” Tatiyana asked. I'd been staring off into space again.

I shook my head. The panic was back and it pulled at my insides like an animal. I couldn't do it. I couldn't go out there!

She's done!”

She could tell that it was something that had to be forced on me. Both Hawthorn and Sterling entered at the same time. Other guards must have arrived.

Get a move on you two.” Hawthorn gestured for us to follow.

Where are you taking her?” Tatiyana hurried to stand beside the tall man.