Chapter 12

That night, Bruce took Ms Kitka to the Folded Arms Restaurant near Gotham Central Park.

Bruce wore his best black tuxedo and Ms Kitka had her black hair up in a beautiful bouffant and wore a sparkly silver dress and diamond earrings.

As they dined, two pirates played violin music.

After dinner, they took a carriage ride and Alfred and Robin followed in the Batmobile.

Their next destination was a dimly lit place with antique furniture where a beautiful red-haired woman sang a romantic song in French.

People were sitting on the floor in front of tiny tables and watching the woman sing and men playing accordions. 

Bruce led Ms Kitka to the front of the room and waltzed with her. 

That whole time, the two of them enjoyed infatuated bliss.

Later, they took another carriage ride around Gotham Central Park.

"This curtain which separates our countries is so foolish. If we could just contrive some way of getting more deeply involved with each other" said Bruce.

"Oh, da. Da, we must search for such a method" Ms Kitka agreed. 

Then she leaned in and whispered something into Bruce's ear.

Seeing it on the screen, Robin turned off the Batscope in discomfort. 

"I don't think it's right for us to listen in to this, Alfred. I mean, some things have to be private, even for a crimefighter" he said.

"Your discretion is admirable, Master Robin. Yes" said Alfred.

Then he checked his watch and said "time for another check-in, is it not, Master Robin?"

"Roger" said Robin.

He picked up the Batphone and called the commissioner.

"Yes, Boy Wonder?" said Commissioner Gordon when he picked up the phone.

"Batmobile position: Gotham Central Park, proceeding south on West Drive. About to pass Benedict Arnold Monument" said Robin. 

"Great Scott; still in the park? It's been almost an hour; what the devil are they doing?" said Commissioner Gordon.

"No comment, Commissioner. Let's just say no sign of criminal activity" said Robin. 

"Uh, yes, I understand" said Commissioner Gordon.

"I've just thought of a clever ruse, Commissioner. Send Chief O'Hara up to the roof and have him flash the Batsignal" said Robin. 

"Well, certainly, if you say so, Boy Wonder. But why?" said Commissioner Gordon.

"When the crooks see it, they'll figure Batman and I are racing to headquarters. Thinking we're out of the way might make them play into our hands with an immediate strike at Ms Kitka" said Robin.

"Clever. Devilishly clever!" said Commissioner Gordon.

Robin laughed a little then said "Thank you, sir. Batmobile over and out". '

Commissioner Gordon hung up the Batphone and said "Chief O'Hara! Dash to the roof and flash the Batsignal".

"Yes sir!" said Chief O'Hara.

The cops flashed the Batsignal in the sky and Ms Kitka saw it from the carriage. 

"Why, shades of Smolensk. What is that?" she said.

Bruce looked up at the signal and said "Incredible; I don't... oh, of course. How clever".

"Clever, Comrade Wayne?" said Ms Kitka.

"I mean... clever device, Ms Kitka. It's the famous Batsignal flashed from the roof of police headquarters. Batman and Robin must be racing there now in response to it" Bruce explained.

"Then you did get the police to call them in for my protection" said Ms Kitka affectionately.

"Hmm? Y-yes" said Bruce awkwardly.

"Oh, how perfectly wonderful of you. I close my eyes and I dream of all those savage cossacks racing over the steppes on their brutal mission" said Ms Kitka. 

"How strange. I close my eyes and I dream of something... quite astonishingly different" said Bruce. 

"Da, da, keep your eyes closed. Continue with this dream" said Ms Kitka.

In the tavern, the Joker, the Riddler, the Penguin and their pirate finks were listening in as Ms Kitka used her own transmitter to tell them everything using morse code. 

"The dream continues" said Bruce.

"Da... da" said Ms Kitka.

"It approaches a climax..." Bruce began.

"No no. Nyet. Not so fast. Be more slow" said Ms Kitka.

"Ms Kitka?"

"Hmm?"

"May I see you home to that borrowed penthouse apartment?"

Ms Kitka accepted the offer then used her transmitter to let the others know.

"He's swallowed the cat bait!" said the Penguin.

"And now to make him bat bait!" the Joker cackled.

"Finks Morgan, Bluebeard and Quetch! Break out the jetpack umbrellas!" the Penguin ordered.

"Yo-ho-ho, sir!" said the three pirates.