Chapter 9

In police headquarters, Batman and Robin wrote the riddles down on paper and showed them to Commissioner Gordon and Chief O'Hara.

"Our blackest fears confirmed. Penguin, Joker, Riddler... those three super criminals, their forces combined" said Commissioner Gordon.

"For heaven only knows what infamous objective" finished Chief O'Hara.

"It may be worse than that, gentlemen" said Batman.

"Worse?" said Commissioner Gordon.

"Saints alive! How can that be?" said Chief O'Hara.

"Look at this pair of joking riddles" said Batman handing the paper to the chief.

"What does a turkey do wen he flies upside down?" Chief O'Hara read.

"It gobbles up!" said Robin.

"Of course!" said Chief O'Hara.

"And number two" said Batman.

"What weighs six ounces, sits in a tree and is very dangerous?" Commissioner Gordon read.

"A sparrow with a machine gun" said Robin.

"Yes of course" said Commissioner Gordon.

"Now combine both answers. What kind of creature would gobble up a bird in a tree?" said Batman.

"Heaven protect us!" said Chief O'Hara.

"A cat!" said Commissioner Gordon and Chief O'Hara together.

"Yes, gentlemen. The criminal catalyst in this entire affair. Our old archenemy, Catwoman" said Batman.

"Penguin, Joker, Riddler and Catwoman too. The sum of the angles of that rectangle is too monstrous to contemplate" said Commissioner Gordon. 

"We've been given the plainest warning. They're working together to take over..." Batman began.

"To take over what, Batman? Gotham City?" said Chief O'Hara.

"Any two of them might try that" said Batman.

"The whole country?" said Commissioner Gordon.

"If it were three of them, I would say yes. But four? Their minimum objective must be... the entire world" said Batman.