Chapter 11

Ms Kitka, wearing an orange dress and boots and letting her black hair down, journeyed to Wayne Manor and introduced herself to Bruce Wayne.

"Kitka... Kitka... a charming acronym" said Bruce.

"Thank you, Comrade Wayne. You know, the fame of the Wayne Foundation is known from Leningrad to Kamchatka. It works for peace and understanding. Why, your own picture has appeared countless times in the Moscow Bugle" said Ms Kitka.

"I'm most grateful. I wasn't aware of that" said Bruce.

"Oh, da. Da" said Ms Kitka.

"You say you found these riddles written on Wayne Foundation stationery slipped under the door of your borrowed penthouse apartment?" Bruce asked.

"Yes, Comrade Wayne. That is why I brought them to you. At first I thought it was some foolishness. But then I remembered. Is there not a bourgeois criminal cad in this country called... the Riddler? Who preys upon the workers of America?" said Ms Kitka.

"Your jargon is quaint, Ms Kitka. But there is such a creature, I believe" said Bruce.

"Well, what do we do now? Report these riddles to your police? Or perhaps to that masked cossack Batman?" said Ms Kitka. 

"Well, that's hardly necessary at the moment. Doubtless it's the work of some harmless crank" said Bruce.

He took a good look at Ms Kitka's face and saw something he normally would overlook in a woman.

"Nevertheless... shall we give this matter further consideration over dinner tonight?" he said.

"Oh... what a perfectly lovely idea" said Ms Kitka.

"I'll telephone, if you'll excuse me, to cancel a previous engagement. Alfred will see you to the door" said Bruce.

He kissed Ms Kitka's hand and said goodbye in Russian. "Do vechara".

Then he left with Ms Kitka waiting behind.

"Do vechara, Comrade Wayne" she said slyly.

Bruce found Alfred, the Wayne Manor butler going down the stairs.

"Alfred, see Ms Kitka out please. Take the service elevator to the Batcave. Emergency" he said. 

Alfred did as he was told and Bruce slid down his Batpole, flipped the instant costume change switch and turned into Batman as he got to the Batcave where Robin was doing his homework.

"Robin. See if you can answer these riddles. One: What has yellow skin and writes?" said Batman.

"A ballpoint banana!" said Robin.

"Yes. Two: What kind of people are always in a hurry?" said Batman.

"Rushing people? Russians!" said Robin.

"Right again. Now what would you say they mean?" said Batman.

"Banana... Russian. I've got it! Someone Russian is gonna slip on a banana peel and break their neck!" said Robin.

"Precisely, Robin. The only possible meaning. A clear threat to Ms Kitka's life" aid Batman.

"Who?" said Robin.

"Ms Kitka. The charming Russian journalist from the Moscow Bugle. In some baffling way, she must have unwittingly stumbled on the criminals' plot" said Batman.

Alfred exited the service elevator and said "What is the scheme, sir?"

"Tonight, Bruce Wayne will go our on the town with Ms Kitka" said Batman.

"A not displeasing chore, sir" said Alfred.

"Indeed, Alfred. I've rarely met a girl who is such a potent argument in favor of international relations. However, you and Robin will dog our footsteps in the Batmobile. You'll keep constant watch via the micro-TV Batscanner" said Batman.

"Sure. If the Riddler tries to make good on his filthy threat..." Robin began.

"I'll bash him brutally" finished Batman.

"Then we close in for the kill with the police" said Robin.

"Precisely. Alfred, do you have your driver's license?" said Batman.

"In my wallet, sir" answered Alfred.

"Good man. Drive carefully. Good luck, good hunting. This may prove to be a most memorable night" said Batman.

Then he clutched his Batpole, pushed a button and rose back up to Wayne Manor.