Prologue

10 years earlier-

"You are probably the craziest person alive," Mateo sighed.

"Maybe," I shrugged.

"You do know you could be killed for this right? By them or even your dad," he reminded.

"Maybe it's worth it?" I shrugged

"All this for a boy? your willing to put your life on the line for a boy that might not do the same?" he scoffed.

"I know the consequences Teo, but I trust Lorenzo . He won't hurt me," I said softly.

"I hope your right about this Bella, I don't want to lose you," my best friend sighed.

"You won't" I promised, squeezing his hand.

"This is some Romeo and Juliet shit, and just so you know, they both die in the end," he warned.

"Mateo, it's fine. I'm going to be fine," I reassured.

"I have a bad feeling about this, Isabella," he said lowly, using my full name.

"I have to go now to say goodbye to Gabby and Sofia," I said softly, hugging him one last time before I left forever.

"What if we never see you again?" Sofia said softly, her four year old vocabulary was impressive.

"One day I will come back for you and we will go far far away from here, away from papa, away from the Cartel," I smiled, brushing a stray hair behind Gabby's ear.

"If you get caught they will kill you," Gabby stated.

"I won't be caught, this has been planned for months," I said, zipping up the last of my bag.

"Your only 17 Isa, where will you even go?" Gabby asked.

"To America" I answered.

Gabby's eyes widened.

"Do you have a death wish? Papa's men are all over there," Gabby hissed.

"I will have changed my identity and my appearance, I won't be able to be recognized," I countered.

"You will be killed Isa, they will never stop searching for you, once our enemies find out your out there they will come for you to. You are a Cartel princess, you cannot be reckless," Gabby snapped.

"I know that, but it's the only way me and Lorenzo can be together," I sighed.

"You should break up if you know what's good for you," she said, narrowing her eyes.

"We are in love Gabriella, it's not that simple," I sighed.

"This is ridiculous and I do not support this union one bit," she hissed, her thick hispanic accent making every word more lethal.

"I can't believe your leaving Mexico," Sofia sniffed.

"I promise I will see you again one day Sof," I said softly, kissing her head.

Thirteen year old Gabriella Sanchez glared at me with a disapproving look, but I could see the concern through it.

"If you aren't going to change your mind, you must go now before Papa returns," Gabriella said, gesturing for the staff exit.

I hugged my sisters for the last time, possibly ever, and silently slipped my way out of the house, pressing my body against the wall to keep myself hidden as best I could.

Lorenzo Moretti, future Capo of the Cosa Nostra, was waiting just outside the manor gates for me.
He told me he managed to get a car from a friend who made sure there would be no way to track us.

I ran from hiding behind the wall into the trees near an escape I cut through the gates.

I slid through the thin space where the bar I cut had been.

"Enzo?" I whispered into the darkness.

I heard some shuffling around and I spun towards the noise even though I still couldn't see anything

"Lorenzo?" I whispered again.

The rustling and crunch of leaves grew closer.

"Enzo where are you?" I hissed, the cold nipping at my skin.

"Isabella Maria Sanchez," his deep voice laughed coldly in the darkness

My eyes widened at his tone and he spoke again before I could even ask what was wrong.

"Did you really think, after everything that we would run away and start a new life together?" he asked, chuckling coldly again.

"What are you talking about Enzo?" I whispered.

"Don't call me that," he snapped, all amusement gone.

"What is wrong with you, what are you talking about?" I asked weakly, still confused.

"Don't play dumb Isabella, it doesn't suit you," he sneered.

I swallowed a lump in my throat as he referred to me by my full name.

"I don't know what you mean," I said defensively.

"Stop lying. I knew you were as dirty as the rest of your family," he sneered.

"Dirty? What the hell are you talking about," I snapped.

"This time you won't have the chance to run back to your Papa," he said darkly.

I heard the crunch of leave coming in my direction and I stumbled back, tripping on a tree root.

I saw his broad figure standing next to me as I sat up.

"It's your fault he's dead," he whispered before crouching next to me.

My body stilled when I saw the glint of a silver knife.

"Enzo-" I couldn't finish the rest of his name before I felt the sharp blade being slashed across my neck deeply as he was trying to slit my throat.

"This is what you deserve," he spat, standing up and walking away, leaving me to bleed out from a slashed throat.