Chapter 16: "Good thing I didn't end up with the throw-up option."

HARPER

HARPER

I had no right feeling this way. We went on one date. One.

Yet there I was fighting back tears as I tried my best to give Ronnie a reassuring smile through the narrowing gap of the elevator doors. I smiled even as I felt bile climbing up my throat. Even as I felt hard continuous knocks against my sternum.

She could do whatever she wanted, I knew that. It wasn't like she was mine. She could go date and be with and kiss whoever she wanted.

Except I was the one she was kissing just last night.

The bad taste of this unwarranted feeling of betrayal that had filled my mouth made me want to hurl.

Patting my eyes dry before any of the tears fell, I stepped out of the lift once the double metal doors opened, revealing the empty lobby of Ronnie's condo building. I speed-walked back to my car, quickly pressing unlock on my key fob, and got in the driver's seat. Swiftly reversing out of my parking spot, I got the hell out of there before I did something I would regret.

The gray garment bag placed on the passenger seat to my left caught my eye while I made a turn. I glared at the stupid thing.

Containing a brand new designer gown, it was why I was even in Ronnie's neighborhood so early in the day in the first place. On the way home after my first visit to her apartment, I recognized the familiar business buildings around and realized that my regular tailor's shop was just a few blocks past the pilot's home. So when I was picking up the dress that I got adjusted for the gala tonight, I thought I would drop by and give her the invitation card for the event.

Technically, it was mostly an excuse to see her earlier, but oh well, that backfired on my ass, hard. I didn't think I would see her making out with some dude— Dennis, of all people.

I fricken' knew there was some going on there. From the first time I met them, I knew. My hunch wasn't just some insecure, paranoid BS I made up in my mind. No one looked at someone with that much intensity and attention unless they had feelings for that person. And that was exactly how Dennis looked at his so-called best friend.

I just didn't think she reciprocated those feelings.

Now don't get me wrong, from what I've seen so far, Dennis was a stand-up guy. He's good looking, kind, easy to get along with, and with a stable lifestyle.

It's just that... I could be all those things for Ronnie too, couldn't I? Would it be cocky to say that I genuinely thought I was good looking, kind, easy to get along with, and with a stable lifestyle, too? I mean I — shit, what was I doing?

Why was I comparing myself to someone else and torturing myself? I knew that it wasn't healthy, and if my therapist could hear my previous thoughts just now, she would squint her eyes at me and tell me exactly that.