Chapter 4: "Goddamn, am I getting myself in some trouble here?"

RONNIE

RONNIE

"Okay, answer me this. What if one day, someone hires you to be the lawyer on behalf of a murder victim's family. Would you take the case?"

I was stuck in traffic for about 15 minutes now and decided to call Monica so I wouldn't die of boredom. She's a criminal defense attorney— hence the weird question— and one of my bestest friends in the world.

Not even five minutes into the conversation, we were already at it in another round of 'What Would You Do?'. Ever since that fateful afternoon in some local bar we both somehow stumbled into despite not living in that city— I was on a layover while she had out of town firm business to handle—,our friendship was formed with the help of, drumroll please... John Quiñones.

That's right, folks! A rerun episode of that guy's show playing on the TV behind the counter got me in an argument with the lady sitting a few seats away from me. We had different opinions, and when she voiced out hers, I couldn't help but disagree. We got into an actual debate over multiple bottles of beer that was apparently entertaining enough for the patrons there, because they quit watching the actual show to listen to us argue. By the end of it, we were both drunk, in an unfamiliar town, and had no idea how to get home. And even though I was still pissed at her for standing by her stupid point, we managed not to claw each other's eyes out and got into a cab that brought us to the hotel I was staying at and passed out in my room.

And that was the beginning of our beautifully catastrophic friendship.

The saying 'The best of friends always start out as enemies'— it's not a saying, I just made that up— was now our motto.

"Umm, duh! That's literally my job, Nic. What kind of question is that," Monica answered, chuckling bewilderedly.

"Well what if you found out that I was the murderer you were going to have to prosecute in court? Would you still do it?"

"Nic... Should I be worried? Do you need to tell me something?", the little shit asked, barely containing her giggles.

"Oh, shut up." She was just plain laughing at me now.

"Okay, so do I know if you actually killed the vic, or are you just being accused?"

"You know that I actually killed the person."

"Well, why did you kill them? I need to know the reason. We're they trying to hurt you? Or was it just for fun 'cause you're a psycho bitch? And was it self-defense? Premeditated? Or like a spur of the moment kinda thing? I need to know these kinds of things, Nic!"