Chapter 4

Lila's pov
"Yeah I do,my eyes aren't that good when it comes to reading,I can see really well just not when I'm reading."I explained to him,he didn't say anything."let's read this together,ok?"I suggested,he then nodded.i smiled,"we're making progress!"I thought.i cleared my throat and opened the book,"When I stepped out into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house, I had only two things on my mind: Paul Newman and a ride home."I began to read the first page of the first chapter.i noticed Kevin had stopped rocking back and forth,I smiled and continued to read."I was wishing I looked like Paul Newman--- he looks tough and I don't--- but I guess my own looks aren't so bad. I have light-brown, almost-red hair and greenish-gray eyes. I wish they were more gray, because I hate most guys that have green eyes, but I have to be content with what I have. My hair is longer than a lot of boys wear theirs, squared off in back and long at the front and sides, but I am a greaser and most of my neighborhood rarely bothers to get a haircut. Besides, I look better with long hair."

"W...W-Wh-What's a-a greaser L....L....L-Lila?"he asked,I was shocked.he said my name!"stay calm Lila,just answer his question."I thought,"A-A greaser is a rough young man, especially one who greases his hair back and is a member of a motorcycle gang."I explained to him.his face lit up,"keep reading!"he said eagerly.i was shocked,this was working!reading to him was working!i nodded and continued to read."I had a long walk home and no company, but I usually lone it anyway, for no reason except that I like to watch movies undisturbed so I can get into them and live them with the actors. When I see a movie with someone it's kind of uncomfortable, like having someone read your book over your shoulder."I read the whole first chapter to Kevin that day,and I promised him I'd read chapter 2 to him tomorrow.