Kuroo Tetsurou - Seven Days Pt 1

Start from the beginning

You weren't that type of person. Maybe you'd consider it more if he asked you out without the measured time weighing on you but that wouldn't happen.

Whenever he snaked his way into your line of sight and stayed there — his arm around someone new, smiling and talking like no tomorrow — there was a loneliness that hung around him like a single cloud on a sunny day.

Which is why you didn't know how you got here: standing across from Kuroo Tetsurou on opposite sides of the hallway outside of the teacher's lounge in awkward silence for the worse part of five minutes. Hushed voices came from behind the door and you couldn't discern if it was about either of you.

Kuroo cleared his throat. "How much longer do you think they'll make us stand out here?"

You raised your eyebrows. "However long they decide to be sadists."

Kuroo laughed. It was deeper and more playful than you thought it would be. "Why were you called here?"

You shrugged. "Who knows? All I do know is that when your teacher sends you here, you don't question it unless you like suffering."

"Such happy thoughts in the morning." He nodded, a smile lingering on his face.

"I am known to be a ball of sunshine."

Still grinning, he said, "You're (L/N) (F/N), right?"

"Yup." You hesitated. You were 99% sure that he was acting out of kindness. Teasingly, you asked back, "You're Kuroo Tetsurou, right?"

Kuroo smiled half-heartedly and looked down. You could feel the cloud of loneliness blocking out the sun. You frowned. Did you cross a line?

"We were in the same class during the first year," he said.

You blinked. "You sure?"

"You were class representative," he said, his voice airy, almost far away. Kuroo looked back up at you. "You had the highest score in the class. I remember, one time, the teacher had gone back to the teacher's lounge one morning cause they forgot something, so everyone started talking and shouting at each other. You looked like you didn't sleep or something the night before and after a minute of the loudness you told everyone to shut the fuck up and they did. It was kind of scary."

You remembered that. Your little brother had a nightmare and wouldn't go back to sleep so you read him stories until he could close his eyes without flinching in his sleep. You only slept for two hours that night. Your brother stayed at home and you went to school. But you didn't remember Kuroo being in your class. You would've remembered him. He was very memorable.

Kuroo smiled. "You also gave a really good presentation of the history of Japanese swords for one class."

"I did." You smiled. "It might have been good, but five minutes before that I felt like I was going to throw up."

"In middle school, I actually threw up before a presentation."

You laughed and he joined you. After catching your breath, you asked, "Do you get nervous before volleyball games? I feel like throwing up before them would be bad."

He hesitated for a moment and then shook his head. "Volleyball is different. I do get nervous, but it's a good nervous, like the feeling before you drop on a roller coaster."

Did he mean the fall? "I don't think there's a good nervousness."

"Then you haven't found something you want enough that you're excited to be nervous about."

"Maybe," you said. From all of the things you've heard about him, Kuroo Tetsurou made you nervous — the bad nervous — but talking to him like this was easy and light. You hadn't felt like this for a long time. Free. "I'll let you know when I do."