Chapter 30: Patriot's Day

In September I start eighth grade. I continue horseback riding lessons with Tanisha and she's in my class. Veronica was adopted from the orphanage at the beginning of the year and now she lives with me. She's going into twelfth grade. I ride Liberty a lot. Veronica has started some riding too, and she rides Liberty also. We have to take turns, because Tundra is now too pregnant to be ridden. I actually have a computer now; the school issued laptops to the eighth graders at St. Claire's public middle school. Tons and tons of copies of my book have been sold, and our family isn't short on money anymore. I have a new email address, mariav1012@gmail.com. Veronica got a phone but I have no use for those because I can't very well talk on the phone.

One day in late September, I come to Tanisha's house before school. Tanisha seems excited and secretive. She's definitely keeping something from me.

Guess what, Maria.

What?

Guess!

Uh... it's your birthday?

No! My birthday is in June, you know that!

You got a rocket ship?

Be serious, Maria.

Tell me.

I'll show you.

Tanisha leads me out to the paddock. Now I know what's going on.

This way. She beckons me into the stable.

Tundra is standing next to a beautiful white foal, nuzzling it with her nose. It looks exactly like Tundra. It's her baby.

Wow! A baby! What's its name?

We don't have one yet! Want to help us choose? It's a boy.

YES!

Maybe something that matches one of their names, like Taiga.

Taiga?

That's another biome, like tundra.

What about Patriot?

Patriot? That's it! That's perfect!

I grin. I like it too.

I pat the foal on the nose. The foal snorts. I laugh. Hi, Patriot.

Tanisha grins. Welcome to the family, Patriot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So yeah, new member of Tanisha's family! Yay! Just to clarify, it might be a little confusing but it is NOT actually Patriots' Day! It is not the holiday, the horse is named Patriot and it's his birthday that is why it's Patriot's Day.