Chapter 13

(The photo above is not mine. It is a picture I found on the internet of Ryebrook, the deputy).I can't believe I've made it this far!!! Thank you for your support and help and now this book has over 100 votes!!! My next goal is to get it to 1K reads, so please share, vote and comment. Also, sorry if some of my chapters come out late.

One more very important thing, if you're making a book and want/need a book cover, go to chxnicles!! She's an AMAZING artist and definitely deserves ALL of the reads in the world. Check out her story! Thanks, now on with the book!

~~~~~~

Cranefrost's p.o.v

Cranefrost's eyes adjusted as she opened them. Today was the day she could go back to the warrior den! Her muscles heaved as she stood up and she pranced outside, letting the rays of sunlight warm her pelt. Aldercoat gave Cranefrost a nod of approval from where he and Ryebrook were talking in the camp. Finally, after what felt like moons, Cranefrost was free.

Cranefrost wandered around the camp, searching for Snowpaw or Clearpaw. She'd heard that they had a big fight during their assessment which meant they had failed. She had known that they didn't really want to see each other, but a physical fight?! Cranefrost didn't think any cat would've expected that.

Her heart fell as she realised that she hadn't seen Jackalflame in almost a moon. He'd gone back with Shadowclan to help with injured cats. Cranefrost hoped no cat had questioned him of where he'd been. Even though the next gathering was in two sunrises, Cranefrost longed for his familiar scent. She knew she had to earn the reward of going to the gathering.

She walked right up to the high rock where Redstar was organising patrols since Ryebrook was still recovering from the fight. She acknowledged all of the cats around her as they meowed comforting things like, 'welcome back!'. 

"Hello, Cranefrost. You're punishment has worn off, besides, you've made up for it. You fought with as much courage and skill as a Lionclan cat. Thunderclan thanks you for your honor." Redstar dipped his head and Cranefrost returned the gesture.

"Thank you, Redstar. I was wondering if I could join a patrol." Cranefrost answered.

"Are you ready for that? Did Aldercoat say that you've healed fully?" Redstar asked, concerned.

"Yes, I feel a lot better and Aldercoat told me that I can return to the warrior den." Cranefrost answered, not feeling annoyed one bit. Usually, she would. But it was comforting that her clan worried about her and missed her.

"All right. You can go join border patrol with Nightspring, Aquamist, Juniperclaw and Fireflare. Leave now and remember to freshen scent markers. Especially the ones that separate Shadowclan and Thunderclan territory. They need to know that Thunderclan will not allow them to attack again." Redstar instructed.

Nightspring, Aquamist, Juniperclaw, Fireflare and Cranefrost all dipped their heads and murmured, "Yes, Redstar."

And then they were off.

As they were marking their scent on the Shadowclan/Thunderclan border, the Thunderclan warriors came across a small patrol from Shadowclan. 

Cranefrost's heart leapt as she realised Jackalflame was one of them. She barely resisted the urge to run over to him and dig her muzzle into his soft fur. Jackalflame's eyes shone and his eyes darted to his clanmates who were talking with the Thunderclan patrol. Then, he slyly crept a couple of fox-lengs away and hid in some bush. His clanmates did not notice.

Cranefrost crept over to him and purred. "I haven't seen you in so long!" She meowed.  Jackalflame purred as Cranefrost rubbed her head against his fur. 

"I'm so glad you're okay! I was really worried, Cranefrost."

Cranefrost pulled away and stared up at him with wide, blue eyes that twinkled with wonder, amazinement and excitement. Jackalflame stared back with amusement. Then, his ears pricked. Their connection was broken as Jackalflame's clanmates started to call his name. 

"Meet me at the gathering spot at midnight tonight." He whispered, then he slunked away and joined his clanmates. Cranefrost jumped back to her clanmates.

"Where were you?" Nightspring asked as the patrol was walking back.

"I thought I scented a mouse." Cranefrost asked, trying to sound convincing. Fortunately, the group asked no further questions. Cranefrost reminded herself how careful she had to be.

She returned to the apprentice den to see how Snowpaw and Clearpaw were going. They were both there, but they payed no attention to each other. Snowpaw had told Cranefrost that Clearpaw was planning to tell everyone about her and Jackalflame's relationship, and Cranefrost had believed it at first, but after their fight, she had realised it was just a way to get Cranefrost angry at Clearpaw.

She'd never known Snowpaw could be so hostile and sinister. When Snowpaw was brought up, Cranefrost's mind would always jump to a scared, tiny kit that was easily frightened and very jumpy. But in the past moons, Snowpaw had changed a lot. She now would snap at people a lot and her battle moves had improved immensely. Almost like she was getting extra training... (Insert mysterious music)

Cranefrost didn't say anything to them. She decided it was safer to not interfere and wait for them to realise how mouse-brained it was to be fighting. 

After a long day of hunting, fighting, and being updated on what she'd missed when recovering, Cranefrost got ready to sleep in the warrior den. She tossed and turned in her den all night, excited for midnight, where she would see Jackalflame again.

If some cat saw her going out, she'd say she was going on a walk. And if some cat saw her return, she'd say that she was out catching prey (or, if it was the same cat, she'd tell them the same excuse.)

Cranefrost snuck out when the sky was at it's darkest and the moon was glowing. Even in the dark, she could easily locate her and Jackalflame's meeting place. 

"Cranefrost! You made it!" Jackalflame's familiar meow made Cranefrost's heart leap (is that the 3rd time I've said that???) like it always did.

Sorry I cut it off like that!!! I'm sure you all were looking forward to the romance!!! Next chapter will come out soon pls comment vote and share!!!

Elise... OUT!!!