Chapter 4

For  my sister because I don't know who else to give this to...               

The next day did not go so well. Clearpaw was clearly avoiding her and eye contact between the two littermates was not made. Cranepaw decided to not focus her day on apologising, but on practising the battle moves both Sunspirit taught her, and the ones she picked up from the Dark Warriors that had killed her mother.

It was Clearpaw's fault for spying on her. It was Clearpaws fault for accussing her of falling in love with a cat from a different clan. And it was Clearpaws fault for walking out when Cranepaw was trying to explain and ignoring her.

So there.

Cranepaw wasn't going to apologise.

Clearpaw's p.o.v

Cranepaw. What was there to say about her? She was stubborn. She was impulsave. She was foolish. But she also was Clearpaw's sister.

The rage that had overcome Clearpaw when she saw Cranepaw playing with another apprentice- from a different clan!

It wasn't that.

It wasn't breaking the rules.

It was jealousy.

Leapmist loved Cranepaw. It was so unfair.  And Clearpaw had hated her for that. She had loved him for almost her whole life, but of course, the only cat he cared about was Cranepaw. And Cranepaw was indifferent about it!

Cranepaw had felt like the perfect companion. Shypaw was too shy, Fallingpaw was still focussed on becoming a warrior, Twigpaw was too mature, and Snowpaw was too jumpy. The rest of the cats in Thunderclan were either too old, or too young.

 It was now leaf-bare, and prey was scarce. The weather had dropped immensely and the clan was suffering.

Suddenly, Clearpaw's thoughts were interrupted by a loud yowl. Snowpaw came pounding into the clearing, her fur bristled on her back and clumped into places. Sticks were strewn all through her fur and her tail was straight in the air. Her eyes were wide and her pupils were small. But the words she said next were the most surprising thing.

"Whiskerberry is dead!" She yowled. Then, she collapsed.

No one moved. No one spoke. No one dared to breathe. 

"Someone get the medicine cat!"  Clearpaw yowled after a long, awkward silence. Aldercoat emerged from the medicine cat den and raced up to the motionless body of Snowpaw.

"She said... she said Whiskerberry's dead!" Shypaw whispered.

A few minutes later, Fallingpaw and Raptorshadow came running in.

"Whiskerberry fell into the river! We couldn't save her. I'm so sorry..." Raptorshadow panted.

All of the clan cats dipped their heads in unison. Whiskerberry had been a strong and loyal warrior.  

A vigil was held for Whiskerberry. It was terrible. Thunderclan warriors were dropping down like flies, one after the other. And it was sickening. 

***

"Look, Cranepaw, I'm sorry for  being a mouse-brain. I shouldn't have accused you of something you didn't do. Do you forgive me?" Clearpaw asked Cranepaw. This seemed like the perfect time to apologise.

"It's okay." Cranepaw shifted her paws nervously. This seemed like such an awkward subject.

Cranepaw's POV

The next morning, all cats looked sleepy from the vigil that had taken up half of the night. 

As soon as sunhigh, Redstar sleepily announced that Talonclaw would become Snowpaw's new mentor. But Snowpaw refused to touch Talonclaw's nose. She was sulking.

"I don't think I'm ready for a new mentor." She meowed, gazing up and Redstar with huge (kitty cat*) eyes. Cranepaw thought she heard Talonclaw hiss something about an ungrateful little worm, but she decided it was best to ignore it.

"And, as you all know, tonight is a gathering. The Thunderclan cats attending will be Sunspirit, Fireflare, Raptorshadow, Clearpaw, Fallingpaw, Leapmist,  Rhybrook, Adderfang and Aquamist." Redstar added. Unfortunately, Cranepaw hadn't been chosen, so she wouldn't see Jackalpaw for another moon. She moped at this thought. 

"It's okay. I'll give you updates of everything!" Clearpaw assured her as they walked back to meet their mentors for training.

As she walked, she overheard Snowpaw and Talonclaw having a conversation. Well... more like Talonclaw was threatening Snowpaw.

"But I don't want to!" Snowpaw complained.

"Listen here little mouse-brain. I'm your mentor and I control what you do. Now you will go out there and hunt like a normal, nonflea-brained apprentice you aren't and will not embarrass me. If you don't catch the biggest prey, there will be consequences. I will certainly not be made a laughing stock because of my lazy creature I was assigned to kittensit!" Talonclaw growled.

Snowpaw cowered in fear and shrank into a tiny ball of fluff.

"Ok!" She squeaked, her voice muffled and her whole body trembling. Cranepaw wanted to intervene but Talonclaw could overpower 2 'mouse and flea-brained creatures' easily. Poor Snowpaw.

***

Cranepaw had explained the whole situation she had heard to Clearpaw, and now, they were sitting with Talonclaw, Dampfur and Sunspirit. Clearpaw and her had made a plan that they would lead Snowpaw to a secret place that Clearpaw and Cranepaw had found as kits that was filled with crows. No other warrior knew of this place, so they would be surprised when Snowpaw arrived with a crow or maybe even more than one!

"Okay. We will give you until we call you to catch as much prey as possible. Bare-leaf is affecting the clan and cats need food." Sunspirit said. All apprentices nodded and set off.

"Snowpaw! Come over here. I overheard the conversation with Talonclaw. We know a spot with heaps of prey so you can impress him and we'll just catch rabbits and mice and shrews and stuff!" Cranepaw whispered into Snowpaw's ear once they were off.

"Really? Thank you so much!" Snowpaw gushed.

They hunted till they heard the loud yowl of Sunspirit. Prey was not very plentiful, yet Clearpaw had managed to catch 7 mice and 5 hares combined, and Snowpaw managed to catch 2 crows, one almost twice the size of her.

Snowpaw held her head high as she strutted through camp, receiving comments and compliments about her catch. Sunspirit and Dampfur looked impressed, but Talonclaw looked pleased.

"You must've taught her well!" Aquamist trotted up to Talonclaw. Talonclaw puffed out his chest. It was well known that he'd been in love with Aquamist his apprenticeship and always wanted to impress her.

The cats elected to go to the gathering left shortly after, and Cranepaw decided the only thing she could do was rest after the long day.

Her dreams about (flying) mice were interrupted by a shadowy figure.

"Talons will rip the clans apart, sent by the Dark Enemies..."

*instead of puppy dog eyes : D