🌺 Pumpkin Fair 💎

Ships In This Oneshot

Shironaga - Shirogane Tsumugi x Yonaga Angie

Requested by: Someone on AO3

So I have no clue what a pumpkin fair is and I've never heard of one before so, hopefully, this is okay! I did a bit of research and tried to go off of what I found.

🌺~💎~🌺

Adjusting her glasses, Shirogane watched the dim, orange sky as she walked. A chill was in the air, cooling her warm skin. It was a pleasure after the warm day they'd had. She smoothed out her outfit. Shirogane needed to look presentable today, more than ever.

Much to her surprise, Shirogane felt kind of excited to attend the pumpkin fair that was in town. She'd never attended one before, nor any type of fair for that matter. It just wasn't her thing, she didn't like people. Seeing others happy made her a little pissed off, although she'd never figured out why she felt that way.

Shirogane had decided to surprise her girlfriend - Yonaga - at the fair. Yonaga worked there for the period it was in town, taking the chance to get a temporary job doing face painting. Being an artist, she'd jumped at the chance to earn a little extra money doing what she loved.

This placed a slight dent in Shirogane's plan. She couldn't take Yonaga away from her job but this might be her only chance to enact her desire. One chance, that's all she had. Once Yonaga finished her shift, Shirogane could take her away and take advantage of the fair.

Her long, pale fingers ran through her light-blue hair, the occasional knot tugging against her scalp. She'd spent an eternity brushing it out, making it perfect. Unfortunately, there was a faint breeze whistling through the streets. Leaves fluttered and whistled, adding a floral scent to the air. All of the rare self-care she'd achieved that morning had been thrown to the wind.

Shirogane's hair was in a low ponytail draped over her right shoulder, reaching her midriff. A few strands framed the left of her face, occasionally fluttering into her vision. She didn't think she looked great, but Yonaga had mentioned she loved it the single time that Shirogane had worn it.

Reaching the fairgrounds, Shirogane sighed at the sheer amount of people. She hated humans, especially entitled ones that tended to hang around at a free fair for anything they could buy on a five-finger discount.

Pushing people out of her way, the woman's footsteps thudded on the beaten dirt. The stench of pumpkin and earth filled the air, not unexpected. Faint music thudded through the ground, drifting amongst the cheerful, noisy crowd. All this did was remind the blue-haired woman why she rarely left her home. Anything for Yonaga.

As she explored the large fair, her teal eyes eventually landed on a crowd of children. She'd seen the odd child with paint staining their faces, but this crown seemed to be the birthplace. Perfect. Shirogane circled the crowd of children who pretended to be obscure animals. Shrugging, Shirogane turned her attention away from them. Whatever made them happy.

She reached the beginning of the cue and stepped underneath the canopy, slipping around the desks full of paints and disgusting cups of water. The occasional splash of paint littered the ground, mainly the colour orange. Why did people want to worship pumpkins?

Smiling, Shirogane found herself standing behind a familiar person. The only person she'd loved in her entire life. Yonaga Angie, the best artist the world would ever know. Once she became famous, that is. Shirogane knew she would.

Yonaga's snow-white pigtails bobbed around as she painted the face of a disgusting child. It seemed like she was almost done, thank Atua. Shirogane would rather die than awkwardly idle in the employee area. All of Yonaga's coworkers knew her though, they were other artists who took the chance at an extra buck.