11

Chapter 11 | Slipped Away

[Seokjin]

How did she get away? That was the question that was on my mind. Chan sent over the security videos. The one that was near this area clearly captured Nana entering this room but never coming out. Yet, she was nowhere to be found. How did she get away?

I looked around the small room. What was I missing?

There was already one thing we knew for certain: the random shelving unit was the hidden passageway. The only problem? We didn't know how to open it. And we tried everything.

We took books out of the shelves thinking that it would open it, but it didn't work. We took out all the trophies, but it still didn't work. We tried pushing the unit but it was bolted, and it didn't work. Nothing worked.

I knew I needed to calm myself. So I took my phone out of my pocket and called the one person that I knew could calm me down.

"Hello?" 

I could feel my anger fade away as soon as I heard her voice.

"Hey," I smiled.

"You're stressed." She pointed out. As I was debating what to tell her, she spoke up. "She got away, didn't she?" Her tone was soft, without a hint of disappointment in her voice. "You okay?"

"Yeah, I'm just a little stuck," I admitted.

"Okay, tell me the details," she tells me.

"Aren't you busy, I heard that there were quite a few patients that you needed to look after. I just needed to hear your voice," I smiled as I took a seat on one of the two single-seater sofas.

"I'm on my break," she giggled. "Come on, just tell me what happened. Talking about it might help you figure something out. Besides, I like hearing your voice."

I fought hard to make sure I didn't grin like an idiot. I was still working and I needed to figure this out. 

"We found the private area where she watches the fights. The camera caught her entering the room and never caught her leaving it. But she's gone. There's a shelving unit that just screams 'secret passage' but we can't find out how to open it," I quickly explain the situation to her. "We tried pulling out books, moving some of the trophies, we even tried moving the damn thing and it still won't open."

"Is there a button?" She asked softly.

"A button?"

"Yeah, you know, like in those spy movies, there's a button somewhere on the wall or on the table. Or even pulling a clothes hook-" she began listing all the possible places for a button to be.

I quickly started looking around my immediate vicinity. I was so focused on trying to find Nana that I completely ignored my surroundings. "Y/N, you are a godsend," I breathed, filled with more motivation than before.

"No problem, I love you. Stay safe," she said after a soft giggle.

"I love you more," I smiled before I waited for her to hang up before me. As soon as she did, I looked around my surrounding.

Where would a button be? It would most likely be in a place where it's easy for her to reach when she's seating in the seat. My hands ran down the armrest of the sofa. The easiest place for her to place a button of some sort would be on the sofa itself. Then it would be on the table. At least, that's where I would put the button to my secret passage if I was running an illegal fighting ring. 

As my fingers were gliding down the armrest, a strange bump where the arm top and the arm post met, right at the top. I took a closer look. What seemed to be a design of the armrest at first glance was actually a button. My face broke out into a wide grin as I pressed the button. Sure enough, there was a sound of air escaping and, sure enough, the shelving unit slid to the side revealing a hidden passageway.

I quickly took a picture of the button on the armrest. "Two of you stay here, the rest you're with me."

The tunnel was really long. There were stairs as well. I had two SWAT officers in front, making sure that there weren't any hostile forces hiding in the tunnel and the rest were behind, making sure that we didn't get attacked from the back.

When we got to the end of the tunnel, there was a door that looked like one of those rolling metal shutter doors that are used by trucks to deliver products to the stores. One of the SWAT officers lifted the shutter doors. I didn't expect to see another room. The door itself was a very clear indication as to where we were. We were in the docking area of the building. The rolling metal shutter door was the second one in the seven that were lining the docking area. And Nana was nowhere to be found.

Clenching my jaw, I tried to calm my anger and my disappointment. I quickly scanned the docking area. There were a couple of security cameras. I took a picture of the shutter doors that we exited from before calling Chan. 

"Hey hyung, did you find anything?" Chan's voice came through the phone.

"Yes and no," I said with a sigh. "Do you think you can pull up the security footage of the docking area?"

"The docking area?"

"Yeah, we have a reason to believe that Nana escaped through the docking area," I explained.

"Alright, I'll get on it," Chan quickly informed me before hanging up.

Then I took a big breath. I punched in the next numbers nervously. The line was ringing before the person on the other line picked up the phone.

"Jin, how's the arrest coming?" Sihyuk asked me.

"Not good sir," I told him, honestly.

"Oh, how so?"

"Nana was staying in a private room that I overlooked. It was so small I thought it was a broom closet but it was room for her private viewing of the fights. There was also a secret passage that allowed her to escape out of the building without any of our people knowing," I explained.

There was silence on his end making me feel even more nervous. "Well, there's nothing we can do about it now," he said rather simply.

"I'm sorry, sir. I take full-"

"Don't worry about it Jin," he cut me off. "We did the best that we could. Besides, I didn't think we'd be able to get Nana that easily. If she was a hybrid, she'd be a fox that's for sure. At least the hybrids have all been rescued. That was our main goal and you've done well. We were late in arresting Nana but we've started a good case against her. She's probably going to be hiding until this whole thing dies down. At least she's gotten the message that we aren't to be messed with. Come back to the center, we still have a lot of work to do."

"Yes, sir."

The phone cut off and I let out a breath of relief. It was just as Sihyuk said, we were late but at least we would have started a good case against her. And I wasn't going to let her get away from me again.

☆