05

Chapter 5 | Hope

[Hoseok]

I was anxious, worried, terrified, nervous. Basically, I was feeling every negative feeling I could think of. Jimin, Taehyung, and Jungkook were all taken to the Red Room. Namjoon was currently out in the ring, fighting. I was next. Thankfully though, Yoongi hyung wasn't going to be fighting today. He was still healing from his last fight about a month ago, and since he was Nana's favourite and there was no VIP today, he was allowed to rest.

My ears were perked, trying to get a feel for how Namjoon's fight was going. I could only make out a couple of roars from Namjoon and from a hybrid that I was not familiar with. My eyes were furrowed as well as Yoongi hyung's. We were trying so hard to figure out if Namjoon was winning or not.

"He'll be fine," Yoongi hyung said as he gave my hand a squeeze. I knew that he was trying to get me to relax before my fight, but I just couldn't help it. Namjoon was my best friend and I don't think I'll be able to survive if he loses. I just nodded because I couldn't form the right words to respond.

Then a deafening cheer could be heard from the other room. I felt my breathing stop as I stared at the door, waiting for the door to open. Waiting for Namjoon to walk in.

Sure enough, the door opened and the lights from the ring flooded in, causing me to go blind for a second from the sudden brightness. I could feel my throat harden as I saw Namjoon being hauled in by the workers. He was still alive. He was still with us.

The cage door opened as he was thrown in as if he was a piece of garbage, to which I couldn't help but growl at the manhandling of my mate. The human just smirked at me.

"Get ready halfbreed. You're next."

I bit back another growl that was threatening to leave my throat. Namjoon was my priority and I could take the insults if it meant that I could at least look over my mate before needing to leave to fight.

"Namjoon-ah," I whispered.

He grunted in pain but he was responding to me. That was a good sign. I let out a breath of relief. But I could see that physically, he wasn't doing too well. There were a lot of cuts and bruises that would need first aid.

"Come on, wolf," the human came back to our cell.

He roughly grabbed me and I let myself be dragged to the waiting line. We learned the hard way that if we resist, the humans weren't afraid and more than willing to shock us through the collars.

"You better win, I have a lot of money on you," he chuckled as he gave me a pat on the back. Then he moved back as the doors opened up again. 

I quickly shifted to my wolf form as I entered the ring.

My eyes grew wide as I took in my opponent. I could kind of see why Yoongi hyung, the best fighter in our pack, came back with life-threatening injuries. The hybrids they wanted us to fight against were young and healthy. They were obviously well taken care of by their masters.

My opponent was a young and healthy tiger hybrid.

I knew I was in deep shit.

Tiger hybrids were a lot stronger than wolf hybrids. They're heavier and stronger than my kind. If he gets one strong hit on me, I could easily die. The only way I can survive is if I tire him out. The only problem is that I'm much older than him. I could easily get tired quicker than the tiger hybrid.

Another advantage that I think I have over this hybrid is the fact that I've been fighting for a few years. I'm used to the different smells and the many sounds of a fighting ring. He might get disoriented from the overload of senses.

I need to plan this carefully or this will be my last fight. And I needed to get back to my pack. Alive.

The bell signaling the beginning of the match rang. I kept my body tense ready to move on the off chance, the tiger hybrid would just charge at me. And low and behold, that's what he did. As soon as the bell went off, the young tiger charged at me, teeth bared. 

As the match went on, the tiger was breathing heavily but I was too. I was bleeding in a couple of places and they were sure to scar later on. But I was able to do some damage to the tiger as well. He was bleeding too.

I focused myself once again. I was playing a more defensive role but that was to be expected. Tigers are stronger than wolves. I didn't care if I didn't win the way Nana wanted me to. I was going to do everything I could to survive, and if that means playing a more careful game I was willing to do it.

The tiger raised his paw to swipe down at me when I smelled the most amazing smell. Or rather smells. One was just as sweet and alluring as my mates. The other was sweeter and more alluring than my mates. The smell distracted me for a second, but I was able to get my head back into the game. I was able to move just in time. I did get scratched but it wasn't enough that I would be fatally wounded.

The smell just grew stronger and stronger, causing all my senses to focus on it and not on the match in front of me.

Before I could get a hit in. A loud sound of an alarm blaring caused my ears to fold over my head as I flinched. The sound was way too loud for my sensitive ears. My opponent had an even worse reaction than I did. He jumped at least a foot into the air. I could also see the horror in his eyes, almost as if he was having a panic attack.

"If I may," a pleasant voice came through loud and clear. "You are all under arrest for the participation in an illegal hybrid fighting ring. I have the paper right here. Now, I'm legally supposed to tell you that everything that you say can and will be used against you in court and that you have the right to a lawyer and if you can't afford one, one will be provided for you and blah, blah, blah, but you all know that, right?" 

It felt as if someone pressed the mute button. The words under arrest kept echoing in my head. I couldn't believe it. We were being saved. We were being freed. We could finally get a bit of that freedom that Jimin always talked about. It was finally going to happen. And the people with the most intoxicating smell were the ones who saved us. We finally had hope.

☆