Three

Three

April 1, 2022

5:13pm

Los Angeles, California

Sage

"Is your mother dropping you off tomorrow?"

"I think you're meeting here again," I said, referring to the McDonald's parking lot we were sitting in. I wasn't eating, but my dad was scarfing down his third Big Mac.

"Where is that bitch?" he mumbled. "She said five,"

"Maybe traffic?" I suggested. That earned an eye roll from him, but at home he would have slapped me. I didn't say anything else as I adjusted my sleeves lower to my finger tips. We were silent, until I saw a car park a couple spots away. Out of the driver's side, my mom got out. A wave of relief rushed over me as I unbuckled and quickly got out of the car, grabbing my bookbag out of the back.

"About time you fucking showed up," dad snarled as we went over.

"Whatever Brian, there was traffic," she rolled her eyes.

"You owe me $150,"

"For what?"

"Her bill for the dentist was $300," he answered.

"I want the dentist to send me a copy to make sure. If so, I'll pay,"

"You don't believe me?"

"No, I don't," with that answer, dad spun around and went back to his car. Mom didn't say anything, but went back to hers. Silently, I followed and got in. "We're going to Ashton's,"

"Ok," The only noise was the radio as she drove. We never caught up, but also she never cared. I wasn't surprised, she had no interest in my life. I've gotten used to it, no one ever really showed an interest.

She pulled into a driveway with a large house, then got out. I kept my bag in the car, but followed her up the steps. She didn't knock, but went in, "Ash, I'm back," she called out, then took off her shoes. I followed her actions and observed the house. It was a very peaceful house with tons of books, incense, and awards. Lots of posters of his band hung up, from all years.

"That was quick," I looked over and saw Ashton coming down. He had a light, curly brunette mullet and a scruffy beard. I have met him two times before this, he's always been nice. He actually talked to me when I saw him, and I appreciated that.

"Really?" mom questioned before he gave her a kiss.

'Yeah, you were only gone for a half hour,"

"Hm, I guess so,"

"How are you doing, Sage?" Ashton asked with a smile as he gave me a hug.

"Good, how are you?" I asked and let go of the hug.

"I'm good, hungry?"

"A little," I admitted.

"Good, we got Chinese," he said, then went over to my mom, taking her hand. I followed behind as we went into the kitchen and sat around. "Sesame tofu with white rice, right?"

"Yeah," I nodded with a small smile.

"Remembered from the last time," he grinned. We sat around the table and ate.

"Are you excited for the tour?"

"Very," he smiled happily. "You should come, your mom is joining with Luke's fiance and Michael's wife when we go to Germany," he told me.

"When?"

"The 18,"

"Sadly she's in school," mom sighed, but I shook my head.

"That's my spring break," I told her. Ashton immediately perked up.

"Come join us then, I'll book you a ticket, my treat,"

"Seriously?"

"Absolutely," he grinned. Though I could feel the daggers mom was sending me, but I ignored them.