XXXXVI - Night bound

Magsimula sa umpisa

"But we're not the same anymore", he replied without blinking, "two years ago I would never have entrusted you with my life. On the contrary."

With these words he turned away and went back to watch Caesar. Lucia took a moment before realizing that he had ended their conversation while she had not yet said all that she wanted to say. She clenched her fists and took it upon herself to calmly return to the rest of the crew. When she sat down next to them, they all looked at her curiously.

"Is everything okay?" Franky asked.

"I'm not responsible if he falls overboard. And don't count on me to go get him."

With that, she angrily bit into one of the skewers prepared by Sanji, a black look towards the pirate who had decided to go it alone on the bridge.

Since then, Law had come back to their side to share the meal and his mood was very bad. He hadn't said a single word, completely ignoring Lucia. What's the use of coming with us if it is to impose to us his figure as cold as a prison's door! The young woman was on the nerves, torn between her anger, her frustration and a point of disappointment.

"The Earth calls Lucia", called Nami by waving a hand in front of the empty look of the young woman.

"Yes? What?"

She turned her gaze away from Law to return to the young redheaded woman sitting next to her, who had a small smile on her face.

"You kept staring at Law..."

"So what?"

"I had no idea you'de be interested-"

"Oh please Nami!"

Lucia loudly sighed while Nami started giggling.

"It's just..." she continued, "I wonder if he's really still human..."

Nami frowned and looked at Law as well:

"Why are you telling yourself that?"

"His face... his gaze..."

Law was beginning to feel the weight of the looks weighing on him and finally looked up to find himself facing the inquisitive looks of the two young women. Incredulous, he swallowed and supported this exchange, wondering what he had done again. Lucia and Nami turned away and faced each other to exchange again some words, this time Law was certain that they spoke about him. And that annoyed him. He hated it when people talked behind his back, when they whispered. And it bothered him even more because it was Lucia and her inquisitive and nosy look had the gift of getting on his nerves.

"He's really different from us, it's true," agreed Nami. "I still don't trust him but Luffy does. And you too if I've a good memory. After all, Luffy asked you how you felt about it, the alliance. Do you need me to remind you that you said you trust him ?"

"I never said that I trusted him, I said that I agreed", she corrected. "But don't worry, I stand by my position on this. "Tra-guy" will not betray us, he is intelligent he knows that it would not be a good idea."

Nami smiled as she felt a certain tenderness in Lucia's voice. She denied it, but it was clear that she was attached to the pirate, as far as she could tell, but something intrigued her for sure.

**

The days passed slowly on the Sunny and the whole crew got used to the presence of this unusual passenger. He was less unpleasant than some might have thought. He spent most of his time on deck with a book in his hands. Sometimes he had interesting conversations, he had already spoken with Robin but also with Nami or Chopper. He was an intelligent man, a very talented doctor and a brilliant mind. His tone was often the same, monotonous, accompanied by his dark look and his scowl, but he was interesting.