IV - Here

When I regain consciousness, I feel very heavy, very, very heavy. A sharp pain twists my skull. I try to move my body but it refuses to cooperate, as if overcome by a great weakness. All I manage to perceive are borborygms, snatches of voices that resound around me without my being able to grasp their meaning. Exhausted, I finally give in to this torpor that drags me further and further away, and lose consciousness once again.

The second time, I manage to open my eyes. Everything is very dark. I am lying on the ground, the stone is cold under my cheek. The discomfort I felt the last time has subsided but still persists.

« L...ia...L...a... Lu... a... LUCIA! »

I manage to pull myself together and force myself to stay conscious as a voice tries to call me by my first name. I try to get up but soon find that my movements are restricted, my hands are handcuffed behind my back.

Handcuffed??!

I am immediately alert. Not only are my hands handcuffed and chained with seastone, but they are also completely covered, locked in a prison made of the same material. So that's where the uneasy feeling I've been feeling since earlier comes from. A few more glances make me shudder when I see that my ankles are also encircled and chained. Panicking, I raise my head.

In prison. I am in prison. I then try to speak but something blocks my mouth. I have literally been muzzled. My heart rate increases, sweat starts to bead on my back, my vision becomes blurred. I pull like a maniac on these chains, in the futile hope of freeing myself.

"Lucia, calm down! Lucia!"

Second blow, I know that voice. Tears bead at the corner of my eyes, my lips begin to tremble, I refuse to look at him, I refuse to believe what is happening. Despite myself, I lift my head and meet his gaze.

Ace. Chained up too.

What the hell is going on?

He looks at me with a distressed and pained expression.

Tell me I'm dreaming...

In an unreasonable way, I try to get up and pull with all my strength on these chains. I can't control myself anymore, I hate being locked in. I quickly fall back to my knees but I don't stop, the handcuffs pull on the skin of my wrists. I don't even feel the pain if there is any.

Rushing footsteps are heard nearby and after a few seconds I am overwhelmed by hands trying to hold me still on the floor. I struggle with all my strength, trying to scream without success. A massive fist comes crashing down on my temple. The taste of blood fills my mouth.

"How can she have so much strength when she is handcuffed with seastone?"

"I don't know, but she's obviously earned her reputation."

"Stop it, she's just a complete mess," intervenes Ace. "Take off that ridiculous mask so she can at least talk."

"No way," replies a guard, "she could bite us."

"If we inject her with a new dose, she should keep quiet," says her colleague.

I don't have time to think about it when I feel a needle in my neck and immediately the darkness comes over me again.

The third time is also the last, my thoughts are racing in my head, I feel like I have cotton in my brain. I'm on the floor again, my hands and feet still tied. But I notice that I can breathe more easily. Nothing is blocking my mouth any more, I've had that barbaric muzzle removed. I cough.

"How do you feel?"

Ace's hoarse voice echoes off the walls. Immediately, reality hits me in the face.