IX - Your father

When the doors of Justice opened on the Navy headquarters, Ace stopped talking. In absolute silence, the ship passed the last rampart that separated them from their place of execution, their final destination. A few minutes later, Lucia saw the dark shadow of Marineford's silhouette reflected on the sea before she could even make out the building. She swallowed, impressed. They were then taken over by yet another unit of soldiers who separated them and led them into individual cells. Then, three hours before the execution, they were taken away in dead silence. Held on a leash by the seastone chains, Lucia found herself being led past a pair of black canvas shoes. She arched an eyebrow before putting them on:

"Well, you're thinking of all the comforts, aren't you? It's true that it would be ungainly to die in bare feet after all."

She laughed and shook her head. It was ridiculous. The walk to the scaffold was grim. First she had to pass through an endless corridor flanked by soldiers on either side, posted a few metres apart, armed to the teeth. The clanking of chains was ringing in her ears. She finally arrived at a large wooden door where she found Ace. He was in front of her, also tied up, held at a distance by the guards. She found him even more stooped than when they separated, a sign that he was growing tired. She bit her lip and closed her eyes, did she really have to make up her mind now? Slowly the doors were opened, leading to a huge staircase. Lucia squinted, but she couldn't see the end. So slowly, the two condemned siblings climbed the stairs.

1... 2... 3...

Without thinking, Lucia began to count. She counted her steps, those steps. The sound of those chains would drive her crazy, she had to keep her mind occupied. Mentally, she wondered how Whitebeard would intervene and if they would really be able to escape this day. The situation was bound to get out of hand, if this Emperor of the Seas decided to throw himself into the free-for-all to save Ace, the deaths would be counted in the thousands. This number of steps would be derisory compared to the pile of corpses. A pile that she might be part of. She gritted her teeth.

58... 59... 60...

Unable to help herself, a small knot of stress began to form in her stomach as they continued their ascent up the narrow corridor. Her mind drifted and she remembered that this execution was public. It was to be broadcast live to the Sabaody archipelago. Was Ray going to attend? Did the world even know that his head would join Ace's by the end of the day? Had the Navy broadcast the information, obviously so proud of having captured The Elementalist Lucia with 500 million berries bounty?

125...126...127...

Finally a door appeared in the shadow of the staircase. The last few steps were the most trying. Lucia felt tiny against the light coming from outside. Then she and Ace stepped forward. The clamour of the soldiers could be heard immediately. It was a veritable tide of people below. The scaffold was also visible. They were led to it and chained. Ace was placed on the front of the platform, between the two soldiers whose job it was to put an end to his life. Lucia was taken to the side. The chains holding her handcuffs were fastened to a ring on the floor and then, with a firm hand, she was forced to kneel down as well. Ace gave her a sad look before turning away, staring at the floor, still without a word. Lucia then looked around at what was surely going to be the scene of one of the greatest battles of all time. 5 of the 7 Warlords, the 3 Admirals, thousands of soldiers, giants... Her head was spinning. All these people together, watching the execution of one man. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Vice Admiral Garp positioning himself at the bottom of the scaffold. He met her gaze. Lucia could not determine what came out. Hatred? Contempt? Regret? It wasn't her he would be crying over, for sure. But there didn't seem to be as much animosity as when they met in the prison. You tell me, it's about time... to get the tension relieved on the day I die, if it wasn't so ironic I might have shed my little tear...