XII - Breaking the lock

"In a few moments, we will proceed with the execution of Portgas D. Ace!"

The Chief Admiral's statement echoed around the bay, eliciting smiles of satisfaction from the Warlords and soldiers. The pirates' faces fell, terrified that they would not be able to save their friend. Ace said nothing. He waited.

Driven by the energy of despair and the motivation of Luffy who kept leading them further, the pirates nevertheless rushed towards the only opening they had left to Ace. The soldiers waited until they were close and bombarded them with cannonballs without stopping. Horrified, Lucia watched helplessly as the violence unfolded below. It's a massacre... a real massacre... Ace then began to stir as well, jingling his sea granite cuffs as he moved his arms as if to free himself. Lucia's hands itched terribly too, she wanted to fight, she wanted to help them. What right did the Navy have to do this? What authority, what justice was worth the sacrifice of all those lives? Soldiers and pirates alike, no one deserved this. No matter how hard she bent her neck, she couldn't make out the expression on Sengoku's face. His eyes were invisible, masked by the reflection of flames and smoke on his glasses.

Once the shooting died down, the silence in Marineford was too oppressive. Ace was at the bottom of the abyss, Lucia was in trouble. All her bravery was gone. Only fear and despondency remained. She could hear nothing. No more screams. No more calls. No more voices from the bay. Only Sengoku's voice managed to find its way into her ears:

"Begin the execution!"

There was a rumbling sound. And another hoarse voice broke the silence:

"Ace... I'm here..."

With a superhuman effort, Little Oars Junior, who had been unconscious for several hours, came to and stood up, trying once again to reach his friend Ace. The shots started again, pounding the monster's body, riddling it with cannonballs and bullets. But Oars did not give up. If his body was weakening, his spirit kept him fighting.

Nevertheless, he ended up collapsing heavily on the ground, panting, exhausted, dying. Kizaru decided that it was time to stop this desolate spectacle and prepared to finish off the giant. He was interrupted by the projection of a gigantic jet of water that rippled through the air and came crashing down heavily at the feet of the three admirals in front of the scaffold. As the water entered the inner part of Marineford, it splashed onto the soldiers present and part of the scaffold. An impressive spray fell on Lucia, who was thrown to the ground by the impact and coughed to catch her breath, her hair dripping down her face, her clothes soaked. Without understanding, she shook her head to clear her face and squinted her eyes to better perceive what was happening below.

With his feet firmly planted in the ground, a piece of the mast from Whitebeard's ship under his arm, and a dark look in his eyes, Luffy stood before the strongest forces in the Navy. Startled, Ace shouted Luffy's name as Lucia tried to process the vision, which seemed surreal. Fear also gripped her as she realised that he didn't stand a chance against those three monsters alone. But she didn't have time to speak as Luffy was already knocked down by the Admirals and Sengoku decided to pick up the execution where he had left off.

"Raise your swords!" he ordered the two executioners.

As they obeyed, Lucia let out a grunt:

"STOP- "

She was interrupted by Sengoku, who put his foot behind her back to hold her down. She looked up, her eyes full of rage.

"Your turn will come soon enough, for now shut up!"

He turned back to the soldiers:

"CUT OFF HIS HEAD!"

As if time was slowing down, Lucia saw the blades moving towards Ace's neck, who said nothing, his eyes closed, waiting to die. She opened her mouth but not a sound could come out.