X - Family

The battle was raging, it was difficult to discern who would win. Casualties were high on both sides. The Admirals faced the captains of Whitebeard's fleet without blinking. Ships were sunk. Captain Little Oars Junior had fallen after leading the way for his captain's crew, who were struck down by Bartholomew Kuma. The Warlords were finally on board, taking full part in the fight. Lucia was breathing hard, paralysed by the spectacle before her eyes. Even if she knew that this war would break out, witnessing it in the flesh was something else entirely. Even more so, being forced to be a spectator was a torment for the young woman.

Completely caught up in this macabre spectacle, it took her a few seconds to realise that Garp had now also climbed onto the scaffold and stood next to Ace. He sat down next to his adopted grandson as painful memories flooded back to him. Ace had always proclaimed his desire to become a pirate, protecting Luffy and Lucia constantly. He remembered the shared laughter. Of his affection.

"I have no sympathy for criminals..." the Vice Admiral began. "But for family it's different..."

Lucia turned her attention from the ongoing battle to Garp's words, turning her head at the same time as Ace to look at him. A sad smile stretched Lucia's lips, the old man obviously cared about Ace. And there was no doubt that he was suffering more than anyone else to have to lead his grandson to the scaffold. His thought was reinforced when Garp, usually so serious, stoic - or angry - began to sob, letting the tears roll down his grey beard:

"So tell me, what am I supposed to do? Ace, you little fool, why didn't you become a soldier like I told you?"

Ace bit his lip, understanding that the reason Garp had pushed them so hard to become soldiers was to protect them from this day. The day he would be forced to arrest and convict them.

"Grandpa..." he murmured, his voice trembling.

Lucia turned away, also feeling tears welling up. There was no way the old man was going to see her crying at this moment.

A shadow in the sky caught her attention. She craned her neck to try and get a glimpse of the unidentified object. She heard the voices. She heard the scream. Her jaw literally dropped from her face, her eyes opened so wide that the air stung her retina. She was stunned.

"FOR GOD'S SAKE THIS CHILD IS A PAIN!" she screamed in despair.

"I'M COMING AAAACE!" thundered Luffy in his free fall.

Ace couldn't speak, the shock was too much for him. First Garp letting his emotions go and now Luffy falling from the sky. The ship that accompanied the escapees from Impel Down crashed hard into the bay, into the only hole on the ice surface. Once he came to, Luffy called out to his brother without stopping, searching for him all over Marineford. He finally saw the stage on which the execution was to be held, Ace in the foreground of it, flanked by Sengoku and Garp. Once he got past the initial joy of finally finding his brother, he discerned the figure of Lucia behind them. Jinbei had told him the truth, it was no longer just his brother's life that was at stake, but also that of his sister at heart. The Elementalist Lucia. Taking no more breath, he yelled out the first name of his two siblings:

"AAACE!!! LUCIAAAA !!!!"

The two convicts shouted back in unison, spitting out Luffy's name. The sounds echoed in the dusty air of the Navy HQ. Completely stunned, Lucia discerned the men flanking Luffy. Crocodile. Ivankov. Baggy. Jinbei. She thought back to what she had said to Ace earlier in the prison, as she had expected Luffy had indeed surrounded himself with allies. And not the least. His entrance stunned all the forces present. Pirate captains and soldiers alike were amazed. Yet their alliance soon seemed obsolete as Crocodile rushed in to try to kill Whitebeard. Quick as a flash, Luffy stepped in and pushed the former Warlord away.