\\ chapter 19 //

The pair  drove in silence, as the desperation of speech lingered in the air. Both of them wanted to say so much, but were unable to find the words.

Despite this, however, it wasn't awkward. They were happy to be back in another company.

Eris  stared forward, watching the road speed ahead of her, as the girls stomach  churned,  trying to focus on the narrow road ahead, and not the blurred black trees that whizz past them. The girl's whole body was stiff comma as she clenched the seat beneath, her nails digging into the fabric.

Billy didn't notice as the bottle of anxiety began to crack  inside of her, as she began taking sharp gasps of air that didn't seem to fill her lungs properly.

The girl was frantic, internally screaming Billy's name, shouting for him to pullover, to stop the car but the words couldn't come out.

All she could hear was the police officers who had turned up at her front door, all those months ago,

"There has been an accident"

The girl's chest began heaving up and down as she attempted to grasp the disappearing air around her,

" I'm sorry to have to tell this, but it was fatal...Both your parents have passed away."

The girls ears began to ring violently as  she blinked away tears.

Billy's voice echoed in fearful questioning, but made no sense in her head. It was as if you were speaking another language  on a broken in telephone, barely audible.

"B..B..ill...y"

She finally splutterd as she clutched her head in her hands,

"They would like you to come and identify them...at the morgue."

The officers' voices continued to trail in her mind, as the lifeless and disembodied corpses of her father and mother lay in front of the curtain of her distressed eyes, while she began sobbing violently.

The vehicle suddenly came to hault, and without hesitation Eris was out the door, running into woods, holding back the acidic bile rising in her throat.

The distant calls of Billy chasing her were still unrecognisable to her ears.

Eris' whole body was shaking when she finally stopped. The world round her was spinning ,but she couldn't move. It seemed like everything was going too fast and she was stuck in slow motion.

Suddenly Billy's hands were firmly on her shoulders, and everything caught up with her as she fell into his chest, her shuddering flesh trying to absorb his stillness.

The boy hesitated before he wrapped his arms around Eris, gently resting his chin on the top of her head, allowing his jaw to bounce with the girl's sobs.

"Hey...hey...hey...it's okay...you're okay."

These were the few words he could muster.

What else was there? What else could he possibly say that would make it all better? That would actually comfort the girl?

He had no clue, instead of saying anything he might regret, he just held onto her, allowing their bodies to melt into one.

They stayed like that for a prolonged time, until the sobs softened as the woods silence was filled once again with subtle chirps and rustles.

Although the girl was still shaking, she managed to push her head out of Billy's chest to look up at him.

Her blood shot, tear filled eyes only starred thankfully into his concerned blue pupils, his sight scanning her face frantically. When he finally concluded she wasn't hurt, he brushed her salty, matted hair from her eyes, and smiled gently,