Chapter 20: The dive

"Not to be a wimp, but can I sit in the car? Cause this is gonna totally and royally suck." Robin glances at her left, as Nancy keeps her gaze on the road.

"It'll be fine," Nancy reassuringly says, shaking her head.

"I can't stand to see those dull eyes of Eddie's break again, I really really can't," Robin trails off, leaning her head on her hand.

"Steve, give me some," I say, turning around, putting my palm forward, as he puts his hand in the pringles tube, before handing me a single one.

"You wanna play, huh?" I say, before snatching the tube, "How- Y/n, give it back!" Steve shouts, with his mouth full, as I laugh at him.

"Close your mouth before a fly gets in there," I say, getting some pringles, before handing the tube back at him, as he snatches it.

"You want some?" I ask Max, as she smiles, before declining, "Lucas?" I ask, handing him half of them, as he smiles while grabbing them.

"At least Eddie can drink himself into feeling better," Steve says, getting back at the subject, still eating, while holding up the beers.

"That's what my mom does," Max says, as I glance at her, "Why don't we give it a trial? 'Hey, Eddie. Uh, good news first this time, we got you some Dustin-approved junk food and that six-pack you requested, oh, yeah, and we found Vecna, the bad news is that he's in that other, darker, much scarier dimension that we told you about. And the gate's closed, so we have no way of getting to him, like he's entirely shut off to us, so basically you're screwed, and, no, I know you were already screwed, but now you're doubly, triply screwed,'" Robin snaps, as me and Lucas quietly were listening to her freaking out, while we ate chips.

"Wait, maybe we don't put it like that," Lucas says to Robin, with furrowed eyebrows.

"She's right though, he's screwed, and we are too," I say, before continuing eating.

"Thank you Y/n," Robin says, running her fingers through her hair in frustration.

"'We're one step closer to finding Vecna' That's what we say, that's what's important," Nancy simply says.

"See, Robin? Positive spin can make all the difference," Steve comments, holding a pringle in his hand.

"Uh-huh," Robin says in annoyance, rolling her eyes.

"Oh shit," Nancy says, as we lean forward, seeing a crowd and police, right beside Eddie's hideout.

Nancy stops the car, as we all get out, "Come on, this way," she says, walking away, as we follow her, hiding behind a van, listening to the policeman talking, "..repoting a homicide here on the lake," he says, as Lucas looks back, glancing at me and Robin.

"About ten yards from that house you see behind me, it was there that we found the victim, an 18-year-old senior from Hawkins High, Patrick McKinney," me and Max glance at Lucas, realizing it was his teammate, seeing him slowly looking down.

"His limbs, his body, it was disfigured, there was an eyewitness on the scene, we have also identified a person of interest, Eddie Munson," the policeman holds up one of Eddie's photo.

"Oh, man. This is not good. Really not good." Steve shakes his head, as Lucas looks at me, before I pat his shoulder.

"Dustin, can you hear me? Wheeler?" we hear Eddie's voice through the walkie-talkie, as Dustin grabs it from his bag, while we back away from our spot.

"Eddie, holy shit, are you okay?" Dustin talks in a low tone.

"Nah, man. Pretty, pretty goddamn far from okay,"