Episode 37 (Part 1)

Emma

Now that Kai and I are officially dating, I want to look extra cute for class. I put on a long sleeved, burgundy sweater and a matching mini skirt. I leave my hair down today rather than putting it up how I normally do because it looks nice right now. After applying some light makeup, I head out the door.

When I get to class, Kai still isn't there. I take a seat on the far left so I don't have to look directly at him or sit beside him. The rest of the students begin to trickle in, and soon Kai arrives. He looks particularly dashing in a pair of grey slacks and a black button up.

He glances at me, and I look away quickly, pulling out my notebook from my bag as an excuse to do something else. I know if I look at him I'll start blushing while I think of how we had sex on every surface of my apartment yesterday.

"Okay class, pop quiz over today's reading."

My stomach drops. I spent all day watching movies and having sex with Kai, so I completely forgot to do my English homework. It just wasn't on my mind. Shit.

We all get passed a slip of paper with five questions on it. I'm sweating and trying not shake. I force myself not to panic. Inhale. Exhale. I come up with five guesses, all of which I know are wrong. When we grade them, I try not to panic about my zero. It's one bad grade—that's okay. It's not going to ruin my gpa. That is, it won't ruin my gpa as long as I don't do it again. Medical school won't accept me if I keep pulling stupid shit like this, and I don't want it to become a pattern just because I got a boyfriend.

I'm irritated for the rest of class and also completely confused. How did I manage to forget an entire reading? It's so unlike me. I'm a straight A student. I don't forget assignments. I don't think I've ever forgotten an assignment before.

I can't answer any of Kai's questions during class because I didn't do the reading, so I sit quietly and listen to everyone else talk. Kai even frowns and looks at me, noticing how I'm not contributing. When class ends, I'm practically fuming. I don't want to let my anger out at Kai, so when it's time to leave I don't try to stay back like normal. Unfortunately, Kai has other plans in mind. He asks me to stay back in front of everyone. I frown, crossing my arms and waiting while every other student leaves.

"Is everything okay?" He asks when the classroom is empty. "You seemed off today."

"I forgot to do the stupid reading," I say, gritting my teeth.

"Oh," he replies, looking completely calm. It sets me off.

"What do you mean by oh? I've never done this before in my life!"

"Relax Em, what are you talking about?"

The use of his nickname for me softens something inside me, but I'm still upset. "Kai, I forgot to do an assignment because I spent all day with you yesterday! Don't tell me to relax. I have never forgotten to do an assignment before. Not in my entire life."

"So this is my fault now?" He sounds irritated. Great, this is exactly what I didn't want to have happen. Now I've made him upset too.

"No, it's my fault! Your stupid presence is just so intoxicating sometimes that I forget how to think straight, and I didn't even realize that I missed a reading until I got to class today."

Now there's a smile teasing his lips, and I have to fight to keep a blush off my face at the sound of my confession. I'm still upset right now.

"I'm intoxicating?" He asks, stepping forward and taking any semblance of personal space I had.

"That's not the point!" I exclaim, looking to the side so I don't make eye contact with him. He takes my chin and lifts my head up to face him. We make eye contact, and my heart stops. He looks so handsome today, and something about the boyish grin on his face today has me biting back a smile.

"Em, it's okay to forget things once in a while. Just don't make it a habit."

I can smell his cologne because we're so close. My eyes close as I breathe him in. Kai's scent is comforting to me now, and I'm able to soothe some of the anger in me. He's right. It's okay to make mistakes as long as you can learn from them and grow.

"Okay," I tell him.

"Okay?"

"Yeah, but I'm still upset I missed the reading."

His voice is low when he speaks. "I should punish you for it since I was really looking forward to talking about it with you."

I gulp. Is he talking about what I think he is? As in, he wants to punish me in bed?

"Kai," I breathe, my heart racing. I realize that I want this. I want him to punish me.

"What do you say Em? Can I punish you?" He whispers, ducking his mouth toward my ear.

My breath hitches, and I know he hears it. Just talking about this is getting me wet, and I can feel my panties becoming uncomfortably damp. "Y-yes," I whisper.

He lets out a sexy laugh, seeing how affected I am by him. "Good. Come to my place at eight tonight."

"Eight is too early, I need more time to study."

"Fine, nine then. But that's pushing it because what I have planned for you...it's going to take all night."

I swallow hard, looking at the smirk on his lips. I expect him to lean in and kiss me, but he doesn't. Instead, he steps back with a devilish grin, leaving me caught up in the scent of his cologne.