Episode 42

Emma

When I come downstairs into the kitchen, I see that my mom and Kai are making pancakes together. That explains why Kai wasn't in bed when I woke up this morning. I head into the kitchen, surprising mom by hugging her from behind. She laughs, turning her head to kiss my cheek.

"What are you two up to?" I ask them suspiciously. "Other than making pancakes I mean."

"Just chatting," my mom says innocently.

"About what?" I ask, perching on the edge of the kitchen counter.

"You," Kai says, smirking all the while. "I've seen so many baby photos and heard a few stories."

I glare at my mom, who only laughs at me. "Mom! What did you tell him?"

"Nothing bad," Kai assures me. He flips a pancake on the stovetop. "Just a little story about you purposely flashing everyone as a child."

I flush. "I didn't know any better! I was little!"

"You didn't know that it was inappropriate to flash people in first grade?"

My cheeks darken. "Mom!"

"Sorry Emma, but it's cute! It's not like you do it anymore. We have so many videos-"

"--you showed him videos?" I try to keep the irritation out of my voice.

"Have some pancakes gorgeous. I think you're hangry," Kai says.

I grumble and sit down at a barstool, waiting for Kai to serve me a stack of pancakes loaded with syrup. Mom grins like she has a hanger in her mouth at me. I love him, she mouthes.

We eat breakfast together as soon as there are enough pancakes for all of us. I try to stop mom from giving out too many embarrassing details on my life to my boyfriend. Kai seems to be thoroughly enjoying himself, which I suppose should be a good thing. I should be happy that he and my mom are getting along. I'm honestly ecstatic that she didn't express her disapproval of our relationship. I didn't necessarily think she would be angry about it, but I certainly didn't think she would be approving. I just wanted to be honest with her because I've never lied to her, and I'm not going to start now.

Kai finishes my pancakes for me because I'm full now. My mom looks happy until I tell her that we unfortunately need to leave straight after breakfast. We have to get back home because Kai needs to pick up Ellie from Sadie's.

"Really? So soon? You can't stay longer?"

I shake my head. "Sorry mom, we have to go pick up Kai's daughter."

My mom's eyes widen. "You have a daughter?"

Kai looks nervous, but nods his head. "Her name is Ellie, and she's four years old. Would you like to see a photo?"

For some reason, my mom seems more stunned by this information than she did when I revealed Kai was my professor. She recovers quickly though, and doesn't make me big deal out of it. "I would love to see a photo!"

We stay for twenty more minutes, cooing over baby photos of Ellie. Then Kai goes to carry our bags to the car, and my mom takes the opportunity to pull me aside. "Emma, you didn't tell me that he has a daughter. Is there anything else I should know?"

I think about it, frowning at her tone. She makes it sound like it's a bad thing for Kai to have a daughter, not that she expressed that earlier. "I mean, he's divorced."

My mom frowns. "That might be concerning."

"His ex was apparently crazy. I don't think it's that concerning. I haven't seen any red flags in him really, other than him hiding his daughter and divorce from me..." I trail off. I had forgotten about that for a bit.