Episode21

Emma

Chester answers the door as soon as I ring the bell. He envelopes me in a warm hug before pulling back and taking in my outfit. I'm wearing a flouncy, ruffled mini skirt and a matching white bandeau top.

"You look hot," he says, causing me to blush.

"Stop," I tell him, kicking my shoes off.

"I'm serious! I'm questioning my sexuality looking at you. Maybe I'm bi," he says, looking at me thoughtfully.

I laugh, rolling my eyes at him. "You're so dramatic. I'm flattered, really," I say.

He's about to respond when we hear soft footsteps racing across the floor. Ellie appears in the living room, looking adorable with her two pigtails. Kai isn't far behind, running after her.

"Ellie! No running with socks on in the house. You'll slip and fall," Kai scolds.

Ellie blows a raspberry at him, and I laugh. That's when Kai notices me standing there, and his eyes widen. "What are you doing here?"

"We're going to the beach, remember?" I ask.

"The beach? I wanna go! I wanna go! Daddy please can we go?" Ellie is extremely insistent.

Kai looks at me with hesitation before looking down at his daughter again. "El, I don't know if—"

"Please daddy, I'll be so good! I promise," she says, her eyes big and watery.

"It's fine," I say. What harm could it do? Just me, Chester, Kai, and Ellie for the weekend at the beach house. That's totally fine.

"Are you sure? I know it was supposed to be just you and Chester, so I don't want to interrupt."

"No, honestly you should come. Don't feel bad at all," I say.

Kai sighs, turning toward his daughter. "Okay, we can go to the beach. But you have to be a good girl and listen to daddy. Okay?"

She nods her head.

Chester interrupts. "Kai, why don't you pack your things? Emma and I can watch Ellie."

Kai glances at me before giving me a small smile. "Ellie, this is mine and Chester's friend. Her name is Emma. Emma, meet my daughter Ellie."

I walk across the room and crouch down to Ellie's height. "Hi Ellie," I say.

She giggles. "Hi." Ellie doesn't say anything else, and she opts to run behind her dad's legs and hide her face from me. I watch as Kai crouches down to kiss her cheek, and she whispers in his ear. A grin splits his face, and he says, "Yes, she is very pretty."

A blush spreads across my cheeks. I watch as Ellie beckons for her father to lift her. He picks her up, carrying her to the room as I talk to Chester. "You're okay with this right? Sorry, I didn't mean to ignore you."

He waves me off. "Don't worry about it. I love Ellie. Hanging out with them will be fun for me. I was just worried about what it would feel like for you."

I bite my lip nervously. "Well, I probably shouldn't be hanging out with my professor. But maybe we can have just this weekend, and then we'll officially stop hanging out."

Chester doesn't look convinced, but I promise myself that I'll leave Kai behind for real after this trip.

~~~
Kai

The drive to the beach house consists of Emma and I outvoting listening to Katy Perry, Chester's road trip suggestion. Instead, we put on Khalid, and I meet Emma's eyes in the rear view mirror as we both sing along. She smiles at me, and I swear my heart skips a beat. Why am I acting like a teenage boy around her?

Ellie falls asleep forty five minutes into the drive, and that's when I lean forward to talk to Chester and Emma. "Do you go to the beach often?" I ask Emma.

She turns in her seat to grin at me. "Yes, I try to. The beach is my favorite place in the whole world. I used to come to this beach house every summer growing up. I have a lot of good memories there."

"And now you're sharing this place with us?" I ask her.

She grins. "I'm excited for you all to see it. The house is really nice, and it's right on the ocean."

As it turns out, she really wasn't kidding. The house is on the beach, and it's the nicest house I've ever seen. It's a two story house with a boardwalk at the back that extends toward the beach. I carry Ellie inside and put her on the bed. The house is furnished impeccably well, almost as if an interior designer was hired. I'm in awe of the fact that there are four bedrooms on the second floor, each with their own bathroom.

When I get downstairs, Chester announces that he's going into the water for an afternoon swim.

"I'm going to wait inside while Ellie sleeps," I tell him.

"I'm tired too," Emma says. "I think I'll hang back at the house for a bit and then join you later."

Chester bites back a smile before nodding his head and leaving the room. I can tell he wanted us to be alone together just from his body language and the way he didn't put up a fight.

"And then there were two," I say.

Emma grins. She grabs a glass of water from the kitchen, asking if I would like any. I take a glass from her and drink, watching the way she perches herself on the counter top. The counters are low here for some reason, so she's only slight taller than me in this position.

"We should talk," she says.

"About what?" I ask her, my voice low. I'm looking into her brown eyes. They look so light under the glow of the sun.

"Us. You being here. What does this mean? We can't be together, and yet here we are."

I tuck a loose strand of hair behind her ear. "No one else we know is here. We're way out of Valley Springs, so we won't get caught."

"Just because we won't get caught doesn't mean we can—"

"What? Fuck like no one is watching? That's the beauty of it. No one is watching. And I want to fuck you Emma," I growl, gripping behind her knees and pulling her to the very edge of the counter. She looks so sexy in that goddamn tube top. I want her now.