Episode2

Voting goal is 10 votes! I'll upload early if we hit that number :) enjoy!

Emerald

When we get back inside, the small bar is full. All of the booths are occupied, and the bartender is whipping up a frenzy. How long were Kai and I outside for? It didn't feel like we were talking long at all, but somehow the bar is now packed.

Someone has taken my seat, and the only one that's left is the barstool where Kai was sitting with his brother. To my surprise, Kai pulls the chair out for me and lets me sit. Then he scoots me back in, which is no easy feat considering I'm not exactly as light as a feather. Kai stands behind me and holds up a finger to get the bartender's attention. My eyes flutter shut as his cologne wafts toward me. He smells woodsy and clean.

"What can I get you?" Kai ducks his head, and his lips brush the shell of my ear. My skin heats under his lips. I try not to blush as I blink my eyes open. I don't want him to realize I was reveling in the scent of his cologne.

"Gin and tonic," I tell him, leaning back in my seat. Kai steps forward so that his chest presses against my back. The warmth of his body heat is pleasant, and I bite back a smile when he places a hand on my thigh while using his free hand to grab his open beer. The moment is over quickly though, and he removes his hand as he turns to face his brother.

"Emma, this is my brother Chester. Chester, this is Emma."

~~~~
Kai

"So we're friends now?" Emma hums under her breath.

"Would you rather I call you Emerald?" I tease.

She scowls, and I laugh, taking a sip of my beer. I don't think she expected me to hear her comment, never mind respond to it.

Chester shoots me a knowing look. He's my brother, so of course he can tell that I like her. She's my type: brown hair and brown eyes, caramel skin and beautiful. "What are you laughing at?" He asks.

"It's nothing," Emma cuts in. "Nice to meet you Chester."

"You too. You should know that my brother hasn't been able to stop talking about you all night. She's the most beautiful woman I've ever seen, should I talk to her, what if—" I elbow my brother, effectively cutting Chester off. His dumbass is always embarrassing me in front of women.

Emma can't help but laugh at us. "So you think I'm beautiful, huh?"

My eyes jump to meet hers. "I think you're more than beautiful Emma. The moon pales next to your beauty," I tell her honestly.

She says nothing, only looking into my eyes innocently. It isn't until Chester coughs that I realize she and I have spent far too long simply looking at each other.

A faint blush appears on her cheeks. I listen to her switch the topic. Clearly, she's uncomfortable with me praising her like that. Emma asks, "So tell me, what brings you two to June's?"

"A friend recommended the place to us," Chester says. "Told us that downtown would be too crowded."

"That's for sure," She replies.

I can't stop drinking Emma in, and I don't want to either. Everything I learn about her is something that appeals to me. The woman has a sharp wit and great sense of humor. Not to mention that she's the most attractive woman I've ever seen. Truthfully, she might be a little young for me—she's got that whole doe-eyed look in her eyes—but she doesn't act like she's too young. If anything, she seems far more mature than I expected.

"Are you new to town?" She asks us.

"We just moved here for work," I tell her.

"Do you two live together?" She asks.

"Yeah. In Sherman Oaks," Chester says.

Her eyes widen. "I grew up there!"

"Really?" I ask her.

"Yeah, from when I was in kindergarten through middle school. We moved out of the Sherman Oaks apartments when I hit high school."

"So that must mean you've been here your whole life," I say to her.

She nods her head, taking a sip of her drink. "Yeah, actually. Well, my mom remarried and moved away, so I'm on my own here now."

"Your dad's not around?" I ask her.

Chester narrows his eyes at me. He's probably trying to figure out whether I'm going to take her home or not. The answer is that I'm definitely going to offer, and we'll see what she says. I can't pass up the opportunity to be with her. Not after I've seen how gorgeous and funny she can be.

"He remarried and moved away too. It's been me on my own for about two years now."

"Do you get lonely?" I ask her.

"I'm just going to head to the bathroom," Chester says. I haven't been addressing him in our conversation, mostly because I wanted him to realize that I'm trying to pick up Emma. Clearly, he's finally gotten the message and is giving us time to be alone. I ignore my brother
entirely. Emma turns in her seat so her back is to the counter while she faces me.

"Yeah, but that's just life." Her voice sounds resigned, which makes me frown. She sets her drink down.

"You sound sad," I tell her.

"I am sad," she says.

I'm inviting her over before I can discuss it with Chester privately. "Come over," I say. It's not even about sex. I just don't want her to end up sad and alone tonight. I don't know why I care so much.

Her eyes widen. I can't help but think of how stunning she looks. Emma's hair is thick and glossy, and her dark eyes are framed by long black lashes. "To your place?"

"Yeah."

"I don't know if that's a good idea."

I set down my bottle of beer. "I think it's a great idea. You just said that you get lonely by yourself. Spend the night with me."

She laughs. "Just because I'm lonely doesn't mean I should spend time with a complete stranger. Don't be ridiculous."

"I'm not a complete stranger. You know me. You know where I live."

"Where you claim to live."

"I promise I'm not a serial killer."

"I didn't think you were."

"Then what's the problem?" I ask her.

She pauses. "What about Chester?"

Shit. I forget that he's going to be the biggest cockblocker of my life now that we live together. "Chester won't mind," I tell her.

"Really? Why do I get the feeling that he will mind?"

"Chester is a grown man who can think for himself. Really. Don't worry about him."

"I don't know. I'm not drunk enough to go home with a stranger."

"I'm glad you're not drunk," I tell her, my hands settling on her thighs. I didn't sleep around with incapable or unwilling women. Anyone that did was disgusting.

"Why not?"

I part her legs so that I can stand between them, closing the distance between us. Then I lean in to whisper in her ear. "Because then it would be inappropriate for me to get close to you like this." With every word, my lips brush the shell of her ear.

She shivers immediately, and I bite back a smile at her reaction to me. From this close, I can smell her perfume perfectly. Emma smells so fucking good. My eyes close, drinking in the scent of her.

She tightens her grip around my legs by pinning me in between her knees. That's a good sign. Emma wants me to be close to her. I hear her breaths quicken when I pull back to meet her doe-eyes. "Let me take you home Emma," I say.

She pauses for a moment, searching for something in my eyes. It seems like she finds it moments later. "Fine. Let's go then."