Chapter 12 - Names?

Thank you for reading! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Please let me know if you enjoy! Updates every Saturday!
—————————————————————

Merope spent the better part of the day with her beloved son's little ones in her arms.

While the twins slept, she dared to question her son and daughter-in-law about something she had found very strange since Tom had written to her announcing the birth, "......May I ask why you two haven't named the children yet?"

That single inquiry seemed to make the couple uncomfortable as they both shifted on the sofa.

"They're nearly a week old and I've heard no mention at all of names." Merope smiled, "Surely you'll have to decide what to call them soon?"

Tom had plenty of ideas about what he wanted to name his children, as did Harriet.

They were both ashamed to admit that they had come together in a sort of elegant, tedious dance over the last few months.

Tom had supported, protected, and assisted his mate through one of the most challenging transitional times in her life and yet, he had taken great care not to openly approach her about the major issues they faced.

They had barely spoken with each other about their divorce proceedings, the children's names, what custody arrangements would be made, or anything else that carried heavy weight.

Both Mr. and Mrs. Riddle had been content to live in a dreamy haze of pleasant kisses and soothing cuddles in Harriet's nest.

As Merope sat across from them that morning, with their children in her arms, who would inevitably grow, learn, and ask plenty of questions, Tom and Harriet suddenly found themselves thrust back into the reality of their situation.

Tom looked over at his wife with an expression of deep yearning on his face.

Harriet laughed and threw up her hands as she gestured at Merope, "I......I've been so busy with work and preparing for the birth....I just....we...."

She glanced over at Tom for help.

He understood his mate's implied plea for assistance and nodded at his mother as he explained, "We hadn't even finished the nursery, Mother. Harriet and I had imagined there'd be more time for choosing names."

"Oh...." Merope frowned, "Well, I'd be glad to help then, if you two still need it?"

"That's very kind of you." Harriet said with a soft smile.

Once the babies woke and cried for their mother, Merope handed her two little darlings back to Harriet before she followed Tom to the nursery and spent the next hours assisting him with shopping for, placing, and situating the items needed to complete the room.

Tom could have ordered his aides from the Ministry to come, but Merope genuinely wanted to have the satisfaction of knowing she assisted in the decoration of her grandchildren's first room.

While Harriet listened to the occasional sounds of shuffling and moving that echoed down the stairs, she frowned as she looked at her adorable babies.

Both her son and daughter had chubby cheeks and their parents' dark hair.

The baby girl blinked up at Harriet with Tom's dark eyes.

The baby boy had clearly inherited his mother's emerald irises.

Harriet clutched them more tightly to her chest as she imagined what the future may hold for her small family.

Her and Tom agreed on nothing.