Chapter 31 - Warnings

Start from the beginning

"You're really hungry, aren't you?" San asks as he just goes for a fruit bowl and grilled fish along with some salad with fresh orange juice.

"Well, I don't know when I'll be done after my two consecutive jobs after school so, it is better to eat up. Also, I am paying for the same anyway" I shrug.

"You're still going to keep doing the part-time jobs?" San asks as he leads the way to one of the lunch tables.

Once we are seated, and I take the first bite of delicious juicy pork, I look around myself.

The cafeteria is huge. The four surrounding walls in pristine white and their glass ceiling let in all the natural light. The tables and chairs are in characteristic maroon with minimal gold details, lined neatly in rows.

The monogram RH lines almost everything – from the napkin to the chairs and tables, even the aprons the servers wear.

This is not chaotic.

There is a hum of voices merging, but every group is immersed in their own conversation.

There is definitely a class hierarchy between each table but it still seems organized. I know two other students got scholarships along with me this year but I don't know them so I am not sure if I can find them here.

Thankfully though, I don't see Yeonjun, Soobin, or Taehyun and that is a relief for me.

I take a large bite of rice and hum in satisfaction. The food here is delicious.

Not that I'll ever tell that to my mother.

She likes to believe she is the best cook and her recipes are the sole reason we have so many regulars. Not that she's wrong. She is an incredible cook but this food right here is on another level.

"Where are your friends?" I ask, finally noticing it is just us two at this large table.

"They'll join us soon. I want to introduce you to them before I leave" he eats his lunch much more elegantly as compared to me, who is devouring her food like a Neanderthal.

"Leave?" I ask puzzled and he nods and takes a bite of his salad.

"We have some strategy meeting with the coach for the upcoming competition so I have to leave lunch early but don't worry, I'll make sure I do a proper introduction with them before I leave" he reassures me when he notices the panicked expression on my face.

I know San will never put me in an uncomfortable situation and if San is friends with these people, they have to be good people but still, it makes me nervous to think I'll be with them alone since they are San's friends, alas and I don't know them.

I don't even know their name.

I don't want to ponder more on that. I eat another large spoon of rice when the girl I met in the morning places her tray beside San's and sit down with a bright smile on her face.

San immediately looks uncomfortable but he smiles back at her.

I really have to ask him about this later on.

"San, Taehyun asked me to tell you that the coach is calling you" she smiled at him and then looked at me. She still had a smile on her face but something felt different.

San looks at his watch and then curses under his breath. He looks at me apologetically and I already know what is going to come out of his mouth even before he speaks.

"Shit, I lost track of time while I waited for you. I need to leave soon. I am so sorry. Where are Wooyoung and Hongjoong? I will wait till they get here" he reassures me but I shake my head.

"This competition is important. It's okay. I was late anyway. You go ahead, I'll finish up lunch and meet you at the entrance gate at the end of the day?" I ask him instead.

"But I don't want to leave you alone here on your first day. I feel like a shitty friend" he sighs and rubs a hand over his face.

"I can stay with her if that's what you're worried about" Bahyyiy perks up from her seat before I have the chance to say anything else.

San looks uncomfortably at her and then at me. He knows he can't say no but he also knows I can't be rude to her and say no either.

I look at Bahiyyih and she has an expectant look on her face with her ever-fixed smile on her face. She has been nice to me for the time being we have met and known each other.

I wouldn't say she gave off welcoming energy but she was a better company to have than being alone here right?

"I mean yeah, sure. San you should go or else you'll be late" I usher him to get up and leave.

He still looks hesitant about the idea of leaving me alone with her and it piques my interest only further as to what is exactly going on between him and her.

"It's okay. Go. Trust me" I reassure him in a low tone, just enough for both of us to hear.

San finally gets up with his tray and leaves the table.

"Oh by the way you don't mind if my brother joins us do you?" she perks up once San is out of sight.

I feel something in the pit of my stomach, a feeling of sorts that agreeing would be wrong. And yet, I don't know why I nod my head in affirmation.

"Great. He's a sweetheart, you'll love him" she assures me before waving her hand in the air signaling to someone behind me.

"Kai, over here" she calls out.