Part 2: Chapter 5: The Rescue

The picture is irrelevant, but so am I...

Gale's POV

I was sitting on a bed awake when Boggs came in and told me to come with him. I agreed and followed him into the command where Coin was.

"Hey, I think that was the worst of it. The top floors are damaged, but everything else is fine. I wanted to tell you that we got an extra 8 minutes of evacuation time because of Y/n's warning. She saved lots of lives tonight, Gale. She's a hero." Coin said

"I know. But she's still in the Capital. She could be dead right now" I said

"We are working very hard and a rescue plan, we're waiting for the right time to execute the plan. But we need you to do something for us. We need you to tell all of Panem that we survived an attack by the Capital."

"Okay. But then we need to rescue them, okay? We can't wait any longer,"

"Okay, deal. We'll film the propo tomorrow" They let me go and told me to try to get some sleep.

***

I lay wide awake and try to sleep but I can't. It's impossible.  As people start to wake up, military people come in and tell us that it's okay to leave the bunker now. We go to breakfast and follow our schedules like nothing ever happened. 

A camera team leads me to an area outside in 13 where we see lots of rubles and...roses. White roses that have a very strong scent. Snow must have had them dropped here. Cressida leads me to a place where we will record the propo. I don't feel like talking. I haven't talked in like 12 hours. I can't stop thinking about what Y/n is going through, and what the capital is doing to her, it all keeps me from talking.

"Okay, go ahead, Gale," Cressida says, I try to say something, but I can't think of anything but Y/n. I really do try to focus and think about something else, but I can't. It's...impossible. If we keep doing this...Snow will kill Y/n, he's using Y/n to torture me. Even from 2,000 miles away he is still torturing me. "Gale, you alright?"

"I-I can't. I can't do this. I'm sorry, I just...can't" I finally said

"*Sigh* that's alright, we can try again tomorrow" We all went back underground and carried on with our schedules. I was released from my schedule and had the rest of the day off. I went to a little hiding spot where I sometimes go to collect my thoughts. I think about how desperately we need to rescue Y/n and the others. We can't wait much longer, it wont be long before Snow gets bored and decides to kill her. 

I'm deep in thought when I look over and see Haymitch coming toward me. He sits in front of me and looks like he's about to tell me something important.

"Hey, Gale," He says

"Hey," I say

"How long are you gonna hide down here?"

"As long as they'll let me."

"Okay, okay. Well, I came down here to tell you that they're rescuing Y/n." I looked at him surprised.

"What?"

"The dam when down in District 5 and took out most of the power in the Capital, knocking out their signal defense. Beetee's inside their system now wreaking all kinds of havoc. A window is open to us. How much longer? I dont know, I guess until the capital can get the power back on." Haymitch explained

"And President Coin?"

"You know, I can never fully support that woman in the light of the prohibition they have going around this place, but, Plutarch got word that Y/n and the others are in the Tribute center. And with the power out, Coin sees this as an opportunity. She knows that Y/n is the capitals weapon in the same way that you're ours. And as opposed to having you two pointing at eachother, she's going to get him." Hearing this was great. Y/n is finally going to be rescued.