Chapter 10: One last day

A/n: Peeta's brothers are unnamed, but I'm gonna go ahead and name one of them Josh.

(F/p): Favorite pastry

Y/n's POV

It's been a few days since the announcement, and all I can think about is saving Gale. Haymitch will volunteer for him if his name gets pulled, but if Haymitch's name gets pulled, then Gale will volunteer for him. I'm praying that Gale's name gets pulled so that Haymitch and I have to go in. I could win again. Haymitch has already lived his life and he's okay with dying at this point. I would miss Haymitch if died, but I couldn't live without Gale. I'm just praying that everything works out.

I think about who I'm gonna have to go up against. I try to remember the other victors but the only ones I can remember are Finnick Odair from District 4, I was only seven when he went into the games, I remember loving him so much. He was my crush for a long time. Then there's Enobaria from district 2, I remember her because she bit somebody's throat out. I try so hard to remember the other ones' names but I can't. I decided to let it go for now.

Peeta and Katniss are both so pissed and mad that we have to go back in. All four of us have been spending as much time together as possible because this could be the last few months we have together. I don't want to die. I'm still young and I could be living a great life. but I'm willing to sacrifice myself for Gale. His family needs him and if he dies then they couldn't survive. but my mom can live without me, she's my only family left. Nobody truly needs me.

I keep trying to forget everything that's happening and enjoy what little time in life I have left, but I can't. I know that I won't be coming home from the games this time. I'm obviously gonna try to stay alive, but I've already accepted that I'm gonna die. I know that I will die, but when I do, I want Gale by my side. I want my last words to be to him, and I want my last sight to be of him, nobody else.

Since I know that I'm going back into the games, I decide to start training for them. Every day I practice knife throwing, I work out, and Katniss is teaching me how to shoot. Every day we meet in the forest and she gives me little archery lessons. I've gotten pretty good but not as good as her, she's amazing.

I've been training for the games, and I feel like maybe I could win. But I'm starting to feel like...like there's no point anymore. What's the point if I'm just gonna make sure that Gale wins anyway. There isn't a point. I should just stop trying right now. Maybe I should just kill myself so that the whole Quarter Quell gets called off. If there isn't a female victor tribute from 12, they can't have this as a twist, right? It could work. Then Gale will stay alive and everything will be okay.

<><><><><><><><>

These past few months have been... nerve-wracking. I'm trying to enjoy myself and have as much fun as possible with Gale, Katniss, and Peeta, but it's hard to have fun when you know that this is gonna be the last few months you get together. 

The reaping is in a week and I'm trying not to show how goddamn scared I am, I don't want my mother to worry about me, so I need to stay strong for her. I think about everything that the arena could be this year. A snowy mountain, a hot desert, the woods again, a jungle, I think about all the climates and think about how I'll survive them long enough to keep Gale alive.

Gale needs to live, not me. I think. It has to be Gale, at all costs no matter what

"Y/n?" I hear faintly

Gale. Has. To. Live.

"Y/n?" I hear again, this time it's louder and it pulls me out of my thoughts