Chapter 18

Severus' first day had gone splendidly, even if he had most of the classes with Gryffindor. If Potter couldn't hurt him, the boy seemed to have decided to ignore him. That was perfectly fine with the raven-haired boy so it was with a smile he sat down for dinner. He was with his year mates but he had greeted on Narcissa before sitting down. He missed Lucius a bit. The blonde was his best friend and would probably always remain that. And to think he was at home with his father and with Severus' father irked the boy just a tiny bit. He hadn't minded being there either.

But school was school. And it was important. Astus wouldn't let him grow up without an education. He had even taken it up to himself to teach Severus spells before he started Hogwarts, so the boy knew a variety of cleaning spells, a shield or two, a couple of defence spells and such. But Astus knew he wasn't cut out to teach everything Severus wanted so it was only natural to have him go to Hogwarts.

So he focused on his meal and chatted a bit about the day's lessons, and he was thinking about the potions class they were going to have the next day. It would be with Gryffindors, granted, but he didn't mind. Maybe Lily would sit with him. He wouldn't mind. He was quite sure his year-mates didn't mind either, as they had seen the two together last year. And if they did mind, he'd just ignore them. She was a good friend.

And she would hopefully remain that.

-o-

Lily glared at Potter to make him stop glaring at Severus. It was her choice to sit wherever she wanted in class! It wasn't like the boy owned her. Severus didn't seem to notice Potter; he was completely focused on slicing the root in front of him. The knife was sharp and went smoothly through the root with the slightest pressure from the boy's hand. She had to struggle, and she saw others do it as well.

"Severus, how do you slice the root so nicely?" she whispered.

"I was given a special knife-set by my father this summer," Severus said and held up the knife. "He said it was more advanced then what a second-year would need but that I was good enough to handle them."

"They look expensive."

"They cost more than the average ones," the boy said with a shrug. "But if I take care of them, they'll last all my life."

Lily looked down at her own. They might last through her school years. They weren't that good.

"Don't press so hard," Severus said as she began to cut again. "Smooth back and forth motions. It's easier then."

James glared as he saw the Slytherin slime lean closer and say something to Lily. Why did she sit down next to him, to the mental Slytherin? He didn't say mental out loud after Severus had attacked him last year but he thought it a lot when he was irritated. And now he was very irritated. He kind of liked Lily and it annoyed him when she sat so close to his self-proclaimed enemy. It didn't matter that Severus didn't want that, if James Potter said he was an enemy, the black-haired boy was.

Sirius' hit on the arm jerked him back to his own potion. Lily looked up and saw he was focused on his own potion finally. Severus was once more engrossed in his potion-making, making her smile a bit. Surely he would end up as a potions master. There was no doubt of that. So young yet so good.

Severus stirred his potion and actually let a smirk touch his lips when it turned to the redness it should. He took the cauldron off the fire and poured the potions up in vials. They only needed to leave one vial but Astus had taught him to not waste potions. Whatever he made, he stored in a special-made trunk for potions that Astus had purchased when the boy was eight. He had one of his own, but he wouldn't let Severus see what kind of potions he stored. The boy wasn't sure he was ready to know. His father was a dangerous man, and he would be the first to admit that.