Chapter 9

Severus did not remember his birthdays very well and not when it was. But Astus knew. So when the day came he got up early and made breakfast, even though it was a Thursday. They usually ate in the Great Hall then but Astus wanted to eat it alone with Severus.

The boy had yet not woken up by the time he had finished breakfast and dressed, so Astus carefully walked into the room and lifted Severus up. Sleepily the boy hugged Astus and yawned in his ear. Not minding much, the man walked into the kitchen and sat him down on his chair. Severus rubbed his eyes before taking a look.

"It's not… weekend," he said slowly.

"I know but there is something else today, something special."

"Something special?"

"Yes," Astus said. "Can you guess?"

Severus shook his head.

"It has something to do with you," Astus replied.

"Me?" the boy asked. He looked around the table once more, saw his favourite breakfast and said slowly, "Birthday?"

"Yes, it's your birthday today," Astus said as he sat down next to Severus. "I thought we would celebrate a bit privately."

"I turn four!"

"Yes, you do. I'm sorry you don't get any gift, but you have to wait until dinner when Abraxas and Lucius arrive. Couldn't have your gift lying around, so I told Lucius to hide it."

"No fair!" Severus said.

"Yes, fair. Or would you rather have wanted to find it and spoiled the surprise?"

Severus stuck out his tongue to which Astus responded by sticking out his own.

Abraxas lifted up Severus with a grin, the boy giggling and Lucius standing next to his father.

"Is your father making dinner?" Abraxas asked as he heard noises coming from the kitchen.

"Daddy wanted to," Severus replied. "Bella!"

The girl walked into the rooms, holding a package in one hand and looking a bit uncertain. Severus was put down on the ground again, and Abraxas said:

"You three just relax while I go and help Astus."

Bellatrix nodded and walked up to the two boys, pausing to put her gift to the raven-haired boy next to the others. The blonde man walked into the kitchen and saw Astus by the stove, his hair tied back and sleeves rolled up. The Malfoy noted the wrists were still thin, but said nothing.

"So what are we eating that the house-elves couldn't make?" he asked.

"It's not that," Astus replied. "I just wanted to cook."

"Just that?"

"Plus it's Severus' birthday. I guess I wanted to cook the meal myself."

Abraxas was put to set the table while they heard the children talk outside.

"Albus obviously couldn't come for dinner but he's coming later," Astus said. "Poppy is joining us now though."